Toggler for "Info Screen" please?

With the new Info Screen, could we get a toggler please?

As it is right now, it’s always opened when starting the SDK. I do appreciate being shown once, but not all the time. :wink:

1 Like

Nope, you’re supposed to get annoyed :wink: Srsly, the main feature of it is that it displays news like “The SDK you use is OLD! Get a new one!!”, that purpose would be thwarted if you could disable it… :confused:

Maybe not a big issue; but that page is ugly as hell! Maybe some styling? Mostly I’m annoyed by the Times New Roman font =P

@normen said: Nope, you're supposed to get annoyed ;)

That’s my normal state. :stuck_out_tongue:

Srsly, the main feature of it is that it displays news like "The SDK you use is OLD! Get a new one!!", that purpose would be thwarted if you could disable it... :/

I guess I’ll live with this, short of hacking it out. :stuck_out_tongue:

@kwando said: Maybe not a big issue; but that page is ugly as hell! Maybe some styling? Mostly I'm annoyed by the Times New Roman font =P
You can't imagine how ugly it looked before I added the grad fill on the panel ;) Its basically this page displayed via the swing html renderer, so if you got experience with that, have a whack, its bare bones html you get served from that page, so you should be able to do anything:

http://jmonkeyengine.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/sdk/jme3-welcome-screen/src/com/jme3/gde/welcome/WelcomeScreenTopComponent.java

@madjack: Yeah, doing a “proper” way of finding out if the html page changed in the background and then popping it up, tracking the state, adding the checkbox etc… Please just click the “x” for now :wink:

I’m not worried, even a wee bit. :wink: I’ll be patient and resist the temptation to scream at anyone for the whole day. Ok, it’s too late for that (anyone who follows me on tweeter knows what I’m talking about. :D), but I’ll try to stay calm(er) for the reminder of the day. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just gimme some proper code to get the last modified date of the page that actually works and doesn’t require to import half of the apache lib and I’ll do it :stuck_out_tongue:

In the past, I have used something like:
[java]
URL url = some URL
URLConnection conn = url.openConnection();
long lastModified = conn.getLastModified();
[/java]

…which uses only JDK classes. Maybe there is some reason it is undesirable.

@pspeed said: Maybe there is some reason it is undesirable.
For example?
@normen said: For example?

None. I just thought you might have already known about that one and decided against it for some reason I didn’t know.

@pspeed said: None. I just thought you might have already known about that one and decided against it for some reason I didn't know.
Cool, nah, I just saw that people jump through hoops to do this, guess because it only works properly with a JDK? But that should be no problem in the SDK now ;) question is if WordPress's caching and expiration mingling will do something about these results but I guess @madjack will be happy to test it himself when I get to adding this ;P
@normen said: Cool, nah, I just saw that people jump through hoops to do this, guess because it only works properly with a JDK? But that should be no problem in the SDK now ;) question is if WordPress's caching and expiration mingling will do something about these results but I guess @madjack will be happy to test it himself when I get to adding this ;P

This is stock Java since forever but it’s not very feature rich if you need other things and you have to hope that Java properly closes the connection itself, etc… not something to worry about if you are only using it once at start up.

@pspeed said: This is stock Java since forever but it's not very feature rich if you need other things and you have to hope that Java properly closes the connection itself, etc... not something to worry about if you are only using it once at start up.
Seems like it always reports "0" :(

Weird, I use code almost identical to that in my day job to download resources “only if they are changed” and it seems to work fine.

[java]
URLConnection defaultsConnection = defaultDataUrl.openConnection();
long timestamp = defaultsConnection.getLastModified();
Date defaultDataDate = new Date(timestamp);
long size = defaultsConnection.getContentLength();
[/java]

No dice.

@normen said: No dice.

Makes me wonder if the URL is really correct (but if you use it to download the stuff then how could it not?) or if the server is doing something funny.

Since I don’t know how you are downloading the file and whether it is done another way, I cannot comment further really. You could try using the same URL to get the content as a test just to make sure the server isn’t shutting you out… presuming the file is normally displayed using a different mechanism.

Yea I load the page from that then… http://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/source/detail?r=10262

@kwando: So I enabled AA on that html panel (for some reason it would not accept anything but the SwingUtilities2 method), better? :wink:

Yeah, that is much better! =D Now my eyes can stop bleeding =)

A jumping monkey somewhere on the page wouldn’t hurt though :smiley: (yeah I know it’s always about monkeys with me)