Travis-CI.org shutdown

After months of warnings, Travis CI GmbH has finally set a date for the shutdown of Travis-CI.org, its free continuous-integration platform. According to the current website banner, the shutdown will happen by the end of this month (May 2021).

My Minie and Libbulletjme projects still rely on Travis-CI.org, so I’ve begun transitioning them to Travis-CI.com, the GmbH’s other platform. Thanks to my open-source efforts, I’ve already been granted a large number of free credits there.

I’m not sure how much the JMonkeyEngine project will be affected by this shutdown. During 2014–2019, the Engine relied on Travis-CI.org for several native builds, but Riccardo switched them all to GitHub Actions. Our SDK repo still has a “.travis.yml” build script, but I don’t know how vital it is, nor whether its function(s) can easily be migrated to other continuous-integration platforms.

Relevant links:

5 Likes

Have you considered moving your projects to Github actions or Gitlab?

We were using travis in my previous job and after reading this: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/atjltu/layoffs_at_travis_ci_their_team_was_being/
we decided to jump ship (we moved to a self-hosted Jenkins).
Even if they still provide the paid service and you have credits this looks like a red light to me and you may end up having to migrate in a year when they close down the service for good.

2 Likes

Most of my projects already use GitHub Actions, so I’ve certainly considered migrating Minie and Libbulletjme there.

However, Travis-CI provides Arm64-based environments, which I consider essential for supporting such platforms. Last I checked, GHA didn’t. That’s why I’ve stuck with Travis so long.

5 Likes