UE4 Preview Video

Here is the preview video of the upcomming unreal engine 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MOvfn1p92_8#!

The lighting system looks massive. Expesially i like the emmisive material stuff in combination with global illumination as shown in the 'carpet' scene and the per particle lighting of the particle system.

I personally like the JME way of programing games, but i will definately take a look once released.
Additionally i am not a fan of the visual programing aka kismet, but it looks pretty good i have to say.

Fine tuning the scene is not an issue of changing variables/compiling/playing anymore. For large project this will save a large amount of time/money. Unfortunatly this saving will probably not be used to make these wonderfull looking games cheaper for the end user :(

Pretty impressive stuff what they have made in the last years.
2 Likes
@normen said:...UDK editor (or CryEngine, which I like a lot better)...

What makes you say that? For its Unified shader system?

Its just much slicker. UDK is becoming like windows with multiple apis, old cruft and many layers of logic…

Looks really sweet :slight_smile:

It’s certainly impressive visually :slight_smile:

Yeah definitely looks nice though your models and other artwork needs to be on par or else you don’t get much out of all this… If the demos look better than all of your games that can be kind of demotivating :wink:

I am actually more impressed of the whole editing pipeline. Must have invested a lot of manpower to get it to this state. Lovely!

I’m a sucker for particles.

This is impressive, I’ll admit it.

@Dodikles said:
I am actually more impressed of the whole editing pipeline. Must have invested a lot of manpower to get it to this state. Lovely!

I didn't see much more than setting values in nodes you add.. Basically the same as the post processor etc. editors in the jME3 SDK.. When theres shader injections we'll probably also introduce some node-based way to create shaders in the SDK.. Still good-looking stuff won't magically appear..

Yeah, the technical view is awesome. Countless particles, massive lights and extremely high-detailed models. If this is going to be standard there’s no more need for low-poly-models. Hell with this quality you don’t have to switch between rendered movies and ingame. It looks nearly the same.

@normen said:
Still good-looking stuff won't magically appear..

WHAT!?

WTF! I'm leaving jME3. pfffff

No magic stuff. gtfo.

:P

@madjack: Stop talking! You’re destroying my hope to find the magic key normen as hidden in the depth of jme! XD

@normen said:
Still good-looking stuff won't magically appear..

Thats true, the nice looking games are too much artist-driven. As a one man team you can only score with gameplay. And that is the reason i prefer JME over UE. Lower level gameplay-editing is something i have found very uneasy/frustrating with the UE3.

Hope crushed. Check.

:smiley:

@zzuegg said:
Thats true, the nice looking games are too much artist-driven. As a one man team you can only score with gameplay. And that is the reason i prefer JME over UE. Lower level gameplay-editing is something i have found very uneasy/frustrating with the UE3.

Exactly, still jme3 provides for nice graphics in the first place and since you get to actually work at engine level and learn all the parts you can then decide to take it further using the shader capabilities etc. like many users here do (mythruna, androlos sky, water and vegetation, planet shaders etc etc). If you apply some fancy particle effect in UDK you are in most cases probably not even knowing what you are actually doing there. If you do that in jME3 you know exactly what shader its based on, where the parameters come from etc etc.

There’s a trend going on. That is, If you take the time to look at the gaming world closely.

More and more people are switching sides to lower budget projects, like indie games. The reason is simple, game play. Of course several studios continue their innovative paths, like BioWare and Valve for example, but there’s this vast sea of studios that seem to think “Eye-candy is all we need to make a successful game” and it’s not true anymore.

It certainly was some years ago with the advent of next-gen video cards and 3D engines, but now people want to enjoy playing the game as much as enjoying how it looks. But looks have become a secondary aspect of a game. Gamers (most of them anyway) use of more discernment when buying new games.

As it has been demonstrated many times in the past years, you can have very small studios make a much greater impact than big studios. Think Minecraft, Meat Boy, Psychonauts, LIMBO, etc, etc. Only those studios that acknowledge and embrace that will survive. The others will perish.

@normen said:
Exactly, still jme3 provides for nice graphics in the first place and since you get to actually work at engine level and learn all the parts you can then decide to take it further using the shader capabilities etc. like many users here do (mythruna, androlos sky, water and vegetation, planet shaders etc etc). If you apply some fancy particle effect in UDK you are in most cases probably not even knowing what you are actually doing there. If you do that in jME3 you know exactly what shader its based on, where the parameters come from etc etc.

True, but if you want the same effects as shown in the preview you have to dig deep into the core, which is probably out of the scope of one man team's/studios. It takes very deep knowledge to pull off a system like this. We [JME users] are very lucky that the dev's and contributors are actually sharing their knowledge and even more their time to let this all happens.
JME is [for me] still a very young engine, progress is beeing made and shared constantly, now you have even a blueprint for adding tesslation. This is already a very large step in the direction of imperssive looking assets.
From my point of view, the shadowing system and the scene editor is currently behind the engine in it's development. At least these are the limit's i have reached pretty soon in my development. Unfortunately im lacking knowledge for fixing the first one, and time for fixing the second one (Which is not that important for me).
The last thing i am currently not happy about is nifty, but since it is very important to me i have already started to write some code. In detail, i am refering to using custom shaders in gui elements, using the batchnode to reduce the drawing calls for the gui. Currently nifty drains too much performance for a simple thing like a gui. On the other side, with nifty you can implement nearly every gui layout you need. But JME deserves a MonkeyGui.

Neverless, you guys are dooing a great job here. I can recommand jme to anyone who is interested in 3d programming, even for serious projects. And the community here is probably one of the best in the technical open source universe.
@madjack said:
There's a trend going on. That is, If you take the time to look at the gaming world closely.

More and more people are switching sides to lower budget projects, like indie games. The reason is simple, game play. Of course several studios continue their innovative paths, like BioWare and Valve for example, but there's this vast sea of studios that seem to think "Eye-candy is all we need to make a successful game" and it's not true anymore.

It certainly was some years ago with the advent of next-gen video cards and 3D engines, but now people want to enjoy playing the game as much as enjoying how it looks. But looks have become a secondary aspect of a game. Gamers (most of them anyway) use of more discernment when buying new games.

As it has been demonstrated many times in the past years, you can have very small studios make a much greater impact than big studios. Think Minecraft, Meat Boy, Psychonauts, LIMBO, etc, etc. Only those studios that acknowledge and embrace that will survive. The others will perish.

I have noticed that also, but only for the grown up gamers. The kid's, which is a very large group of people still are getting mad on forums if a game does not support dx 11. or delivers ultra high quality mega super duper textures. Currently it seems to be also wrong if your game runs on high details on mid-range pc's. (But that should not be a problem to fix ;) )
@zzuegg said:
I have noticed that also, but only for the grown up gamers. The kid's, which is a very large group of people still are getting mad on forums if a game does not support dx 11. or delivers ultra high quality mega super duper textures. Currently it seems to be also wrong if your game runs on high details on mid-range pc's. (But that should not be a problem to fix ;) )

People who listen to classical music are not likely to be big "Rock Album" spenders. Some of it is knowing your market and ignoring the haters.

I will say that the largest of the Mythruna donators have all been younger... in many cases in their teens. (Though maybe that's because Mythruna only runs on mid-range machines or better. :))

"Haters gonna hate" is the hardest mantra to keep repeating as the youtube comments come in but one of the most important ones.
2 Likes
@zzuegg said:
I have noticed that also, but only for the grown up gamers. The kid's, which is a very large group of people still are getting mad on forums if a game does not support dx 11.

Kids are kids. Been there, done that, complained and realized what I was missing out on and I've never been the same after.

Yes, I sometimes do enjoy mindless games full of eye-candy, like I would with Diablo III if I had it. That game is nothing more than an eye-candy store with pretty no game-play value for me. It's only a hack & slash game. It has its appeal, but for me it's "unwinding/venting" appeal. Nothing more.

Going off on a tangent here, so let's get back to topic. ;)