Unnamed procedural low-poly roguelite

This reminds me of something similar that happened with me about a year ago, after I made a facebook page for my game, except the person was someone I knew in real life :laughing:, he was also supposed to be my graphic designer and lead coder, until I realized he didn’t necessarily have the same positive intentions as me. Turns out he was developing his own game in Unity because he was struggling to learn Jmonkey and rarely ever helped me, and eventually I also found out that he paid for a promoted post to tell people who like my page that they should unlike it.

So after that I stopped working with him and took away his Admin privileges on our tiny Facebook page with less than 100 likes, and the next week resulted in about 5,000 fake likes and 1 star reviews on my facebook page that he purchased from a website that sells likes and reviews on social media :laughing: The harassment went on for weeks until I finally contacted his close relatives, told them he was going crazy, and said that they should contact him to see if they can get the harassment stop before I’d have to take legal action.

It’s funny that I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was really taken back that a friend (or anyone for that matter) would spend a whole month, wasting both time and money to troll me and belittle my game that barely anyone even knew existed.

Just thought I’d share my story since your article reminded me about it. I’ve had a few other people comment negatively on my game, but none as bad as the person I knew IRL.

It seems that anytime it comes to a task or challenge that’s even half as difficult as making your own game, you’ll always tend to draw in those bitter people who want to see you fail or give up so that they can feel better about their own shortcomings. I like to use that as my motivation to work harder, that way the haters can have even more reason to be pissed off :smiley: :joy:

3 Likes