Using the DAC "torso" rigid body to move your character

would that be viable instead of CC or BCC for character movement,

add another control(if possible) and do:

.setAngularFactor(0);
.setLinearDamping(linearDamping);
.applyCentralForce(move.mult(walkForce));

in the sample I am building of off, the NPCs are driven fairly predictably by rigid body controls like above or could there be issues

I think , it would be better if you use applyCentralImpulse(force:Vector3f) that would ensures the force is cleared after being applied , ie it wonot be applied forever , or rigidBodyControl.clearForces() to clear forces after applying the force , may be.

Noted… though the NPCs move and stop just fine as is, only now digging into changing NPC code to extend it…I suppose @sgold would respond as to whether it is safe to use getTorsoLink to access and use the associated rigid body in such a manner

You can always use .getTorsoLink().getRigidBody() to access the rigid body. Forces applied to that rigid body will be effective ONLY if the torso is in “dynamic mode”.

Since I’m not sure what effect you’re trying to achieve, I can’t opine on whether this is a good approach or not.

@sgold Basically I want to know if it would work well if I used dampened forces on the torso link to make a DAC “walk” similar to how u can use dampened force on a rigid body control as a makeshift character control or if there might be issues with that,

but I guess this below mean the character would need to be in “ragdoll” mode which is not what I want or am I misunderstanding

Forces applied to that rigid body will be effective ONLY if the torso is in “dynamic mode”.

“dynamic mode” and “ragdoll mode” are not the same thing. Suggested reading:

Ah ok, so my idea might work one thing though just for Clarity, the “torso link” is that the “root bone” of the character, I ask because my skeletal rig is composed of skin bones and controller bones, the controller bones get stripped out upon export, in blender my main controller which moves the whole rig is at the “floor” level (0,0,0) after that the pelvis bone effectively becomes the root. I guess my actual question is what or where should the torso link be for best results

The TorsoLink will include the root bone and any other bones that aren’t assigned to a BoneLink. If the root bone is at floor level, the TorsoLink should probably include the pelvis bone as well.

Without seeing your model and armature, I can’t advise further, except to suggest you use the DacWizard application to experiment with different DynamicAnimControl configurations.

thank you for all of your help and patience, Puppet is a reasonable enough facsimile of my rig once the layers of controller are stripped away the hips\pelvis is parented to a root bone at the feet the only difference is except for the finger joints most other skin bones are driven by systems of constraints

as an aside in TestDAC, most of the models would not return to their “upright” states when the ragdoll effect is deactivated except for puppet