Version .11

It's official:

jMonkeyEngine announced today that has released version 0.11 of its successful open-source Java gaming engine, adding many new and exciting features as well as improving performance and reliability.

Major new features and systems in this release include:

• A Skin and Animatable Bone System enabling realistic representation of models and motion.
  • Support for importing files in the COLLADA format.
  • Support for using jME in a Java Applet.
  • New Importer and Exporter System giving a standard framework for loading and saving jME scenegraphs.
  • A Binary Format implementation for the new import/export system that is more compact and faster than standard Java serialization.
  • Support for rendering to Framebuffer Objects.
  • New Pass - Water, with configurable reflection, refraction, wave generation and more.
  • New Pass - Bloom, with configurable intensity, blurring, resolution and more.
  • Support for simple texture based dot3 bump mapping
  • New extension providing the ability to generate 3d meshes from text.
  • Control Binding Management

Bug fixes and enhancements in this release:
  • Upgraded jME's official binding to LWJGL 1.0
  • Improved rendering system tracking, reducing the number of jni calls to the underlying native bindings.
  • Optimized Collision system, specifically triangle collision and picking that is fast and several times more memory efficient.
  • New Sound System revamp (jmex.audio)
  • New editor extension package (jmex.editor) providing editor widgets useful for building jME related tools in Swing.
  • Improved Particle System and Editor adding Particle layers, Particle Influences (with prebuilt wind, gravity, drag, vortex, swarm and wander influences) and more.
  • Enhanced Multi-threaded support including a system for queuing up and executing code in the rendering context thread.
  • Enhanced support for using jME inside of Swing/AWT
  • Many other bug fixes and memory/performance optimizations

Find out more about the jMonkeyEngine by visiting  www.jMonkeyEngine.com

great release, looks like tons of new features in there, wish there was some new demos to try out to see some of the new stuff, especially can't wait to see the water and bloom effects.

@faust, Check out the jmetest package in the jME source code it contains all the demo's you're looking for!

jmetest.effects.*

https://jme.dev.java.net/source/browse/jme/src/jmetest/effects/water/

Congrats jME developers on the .11 release, there really are a TON of great features in it!

I've always liked the pre dot releases that JME has done… I started in the hundreds position… .001 is available, etc.

I figure that by the time I get to .005 or whatever, I'll just go to the java method of saying it's .005 but we're going to call it El Tigre and refer to it as myGame 5.

spanx! we are working on adding webstarts for all other important tests to the demo page…

Congrats on the new release! Can't wait to check it all out…

One thing im curious about is the jmex.editor addition. Since I plan on making an editor this sounds like just the library that can help me out. I can't check it at the current moment but I was wondering if someone could spare some info about it!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

nice :slight_smile:

somebody should also update the description on devmaster.net

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=78

"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt

Awesome stuff guys  :slight_smile:

Excellent timing, just before gdc

don’t forget to review the engine on http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=78  8)

theprism said:

How strange!  :P

Grats to all the devs!  Great work, great community.

GDC was in March. JavaOne?

The current feeling is 0.11 will lead into a 1.0 release. So, this will be an exciting ramp-up. We'll need to start doing a lot of javadoc'ing heh.

This is the greatest news I have heard in recent days. :slight_smile:

Hail to you guys!

mojomonk said:

GDC was in March. JavaOne?

The current feeling is 0.11 will lead into a 1.0 release. So, this will be an exciting ramp-up. We'll need to start doing a lot of javadoc'ing heh.

Man, I knew there was a reason I was against a 1.0 release.  :P

yup, expect a ramp up…time for us devs to get our hands dirty…were gonna bring this baby all the way to goal  8)

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

SOMEBODY MAKE THEM STOP!!!    :’(

"Stupid is as stupid does." – Forrest Gump  :stuck_out_tongue: