Which animation system is which?

OK, I thought I would ask as a way to clarify because I have become very confused, but this is my understanding:

• Old animation system: The one currently documented in the wiki
  • MonkAnim: Not in existence anymore / never implemented?
  • New animation system: In the code, but not in the wiki?

And the new animation system is where DynamicAnimControl comes from.

Is that all correct?

1 Like

I think DynamicAnimControl is sgold’s thing and based on the older animation system.

The new animation system was the product of the monkanim development and ticks a lot of those boxes but yeah, in my opinion, is not “monkanim” in the original concept.

com.jme3.anim is the new animation stuff. jmonkeyengine/jme3-core/src/main/java/com/jme3/anim at master · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub
com.jme3.animation is the old animation stuff. jmonkeyengine/jme3-core/src/main/java/com/jme3/animation at master · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub

1 Like

I’m uncertain precisely what MonkAnim is and how it relates to the new (JME 3.3) animation system, so I’ve stopped using the term “MonkAnim”.

DynamicAnimControl is a scene-graph Control that integrates skeleton animation with Bullet physics. It’s been used to animate ropes and ragdolls and implement inverse kinematics.

There are 2 implementations of DynamicAnimControl:

• the one in the unofficial Minie library, which works only with the old (pre-3.3) animation system
  • the one in the master branch of the JME repo, which works only with the new (3.3) animation system and lacks some of the features found in the Minie implementation

Once JME 3.3 is in beta, I’ll begin transitioning Minie to JME 3.3, so that the Minie implementation will work with the new animation system.

2 Likes

Maybe we should name the new animation system “TweenAnim” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Except eventually the new animation system should just be “the animation system” and it will be weird if it has a separate name.

3 Likes

Well unfortunately, everyone can take a dump into the repo without documenting the changes or updating the wiki.

Even though it specifically stated they must do so…

If your code is committed and it introduces new functionality, please edit the wiki accordingly. We can easily roll back to previous revisions, so just do your best; point us to it and we’ll see if it sticks!

1 Like

I’ll appreciate any constructive feedback on the documentation.

1 Like

just note for someone who search example:

im gonna try new animation system now myself.