Why it was down?

Yeah, you guys can joke. Being outside :no_mouth:

You can get freedom, on your territory, and not beyond it, as you think.

It was not a hackā€¦ was just an out of drive space (you guys upload a lot of images and stuff)ā€¦in conjunction of no one can log in and fix itā€¦
anyway, itā€™s been fix.

5 Likes

2 Likes

The ā€œdownload my postsā€ option is not that useful as the more important part are the answers to them :confused:

What about a readonly compressed backup publicly browsable?
(in a sense that, if the images are too cumbersome, auto-lower their quality during .webp compression, the text is usually much more important than them anyway. )
So it could be an alternative whenever such events happen again. It could even be synchronized every hour or less I guess.

@Torsion @Caboose Website broken gateway nginx Ā· Issue #653 Ā· jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine Ā· GitHub

Or simply disable uploads, we can still use one of the many image hosting.

Phew. I canā€™t count the number of times a day I open a tab type ā€˜hubā€™ and click this. Even though I knew it was down, just kept on going out of habbit.

I mean I have this other ā€˜hubā€™ link thatā€™s decent, but not the same.

4 Likes

Same. I have the jME hub pinned as the very first tile on Firefoxā€™s ā€œnew tabā€ page. I kept hitting it over and over again out of habbit.

I hope disabling uploads doesnā€™t need to be done, external image hosting sites are annoying and the links often break eventually. Iā€™d rather do a donation campaign for additional disk space before resorting to that.

Yeah that was a rough outageā€¦

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/monkey.gif

2 Likes

The problem is that itā€™s an ever-growing cost and maintenance issue. I mean say we accumulate gigs and gigs of images then have to move servers. Someone has to sit and baby sit that HUGE data transfer. When 99% of the images no one will ever look at again. Just not worth it.

Thatā€™s why itā€™s better to use sites like imgur where itā€™s their business to serve images. I suspect they will be around for a long long time. Beyond that, a certain amount of link rot is okā€¦ after all, who is going to support anything related to that 15 year old png anyway?

1 Like

Yeah purging really old stuff is reasonable, assuming thereā€™s a simple way to do that. I canā€™t deny that it makes maintenance easier, but IMO linking out would be a constant pain for everyone else getting more interesting content posted.

Is disabling images something yā€™all are actually considering now, or was that just mentioned randomly?

okā€¦ againā€¦ this time Iā€™m able to connect and to fix itā€¦
Gonna try to find a more durable solution than hot fixing it when it blows up

2 Likes

I think that this is the best solution.

Personally, I never use the upload button. However, I can understand that people like it (so much straight-forward) so, isnā€™t it possible to connect the upload to an external service?, so each time a user upload an image it is uploaded to another place (eg: imgur) under a jme account (If it isnā€™t, maybe it can be suggested to the discourse team?).

Anyway, I think it is not a need feature.

if the server is *nix, I use this script on linux to convert to .webp my images from time to time, in a lower quality (80%) but still almost equal visually. It helps on about halving the used space, but that may vary. A few tweaks and it may be usable here too (no need to update posts img links, just create a symlink to the webp image with the original image name, after removing it).

EDIT: oh btw, I would like that ā€œdownload my postsā€ could include all bookmarked posts/threads, that would actually be helpful/useful!

EDIT: also, it may sound fun, butā€¦ very old pictures of low visualisations threads, could have even more lowered quality, like 50% prior to a possible purging, I mean, something barely but sufficiently/usefully visible.

We have 40gb disk space, Uploads are 5Gb. Problem is more space eaten by docker over time and our forum backups that eat around 5gb each (we keep 3). Gonna look if we can only keep 2 of them.
Iā€™ve configured the forum so uploads are not stored on the server but on S3ā€¦ not sure itā€™s gonna work but weā€™ll see.
Thoughā€¦ guysā€¦ it would be nice to use Imgur to store your imagesā€¦and just paste the link here, it will embed the file the same and wonā€™t eat disk space.
Anyway I have the keys of the house now, and Iā€™m not going anywhere.

6 Likes

Wonder what your wifes reaction will be when she gets the notice that all future holidays are cancelled :smile:

2 Likes

Put that 3rd bkp on an another physical media, just in case of a main HD failure?

I never EVER go somewhere in vacation where there is no internet connectionā€¦ and my wife knows itā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Turn off the download of images, so this is superfluous.
Google disk is there, and storage is reliable in time :slight_smile:

Itā€™s funny that you say that word when posting an image that seems to be a broken link (lack of permissions?) xD

5 Likes