Xbox One indie self publishing is a Go!

Xbox One indie self publishing is a Go!

So, what about Java? How can Java be used on Xbox One?

It is good news… though I remain skeptical.

I got not much farther than this before tasting a little vomit in the back of my throat:

"This has actually been a key pillar for how we thought about Xbox One," Whitten told IGN

Implication: “we planned this all along” Yeah… despite exact statements to the contrary up until now. Despite shutting down existing support and sending people to mono.

Also, can it be a coincidence that they used the word “pillar”? Considering earlier quotes from Sony about their “pillars of self publishing support”. PS4: Sony reveals self-publishing pillars

I fear that they are only playing nice while they are in hot water… hopefully competition continues to keep them in hot water. They really don’t know how to operate in that environment anymore so it’s been interesting to watch.

^This. Pillar my a$$.

1 Like

I have to concur with Paul. “As low of a barrier to entry as possible” is essentially a noninformation, because all hinges on the definition of “possible”.
Well, they’re going in the right direction by “every developer is a publisher”. Verbally. We’ll have to see what that means in concrete terms.

Not sure how this is relevant to JME-based games. I wouldn’t expect a JVM on the Xbox - but then I have learned to expect the unexpected in MS’ company policy, so there…

I guess we’ll all have to wait until more details are announced.
And we’ll have to read them very, very carefully.

Even if jvm is there, what about opengl? I think it might be bigger issue than availablity of java.

Yeah. M$ would be reluctant to drop DirectX as a requirement from the xbox as it ties games to the M$ platforms.

There is an OpenGL on top of DirectX, http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php?topic=1753.0 says. That’s a decade old.
http://postimg.org/image/6fn1vbhh5/ is current information from a German magazine, and it says that OpenGL is supported. (But that table in itself has been heavily criticized.)

Btw MS managed to botch another Indie marketplace. Don’t know whether that was intentional or not, Thomas does not have any information on that, but if that was unintentional, MS was being clueless and utterly disinterested in changing anything about it.
Read yourself: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ThomasSteinke/20130202/185921/What_went_wrong_with_XNAXBLIG.php
Essentially it means that MS has so many ways to screw up indie games that they could promise and deliver all kinds of goodies for indie games on the Xbox, and still sabotage it to no end. You can’t rely on announcements, you have to try it out - if you have the money to bet on the Xbox (but Indies typically don’t have money for that).

1 Like

I beleive the guy responsible for the development of the xbox one got fired after it was announced (and they started reversing all their announcement)…
eg
“required always online connections” -> “doesnt required always online connection”,
“requires kincect to always be plugged in” -> “doesnt require kinect to always be plugged in”,
“not allowing used game sales” -> “allows used games sales”
“no indie publishing” -> “has indie publishing”.

Clearly there was one mindset of features and limitations in mind when developing the system for the past several years. Regardless of what they want the Xbox One to be now I’m sure it wont meet the expectations of anyone no matter what their relation is to the system (publisher, gamer, developer, retailer, sports fan, music listener…). I’m holding off on any thoughts on any level about the Xbox One until its actually released.

I think its totally possible that a year from now no one will be talking about the Xbox One besides about how much it failed and no one uses it (like windows 8, windows surface tablet, and any other projects theyve released in the past year or so)

1 Like

I’ll stick to my 360 for a while longer.
Anyone knows how Minecraft runs on X360? A rewrite to XNA, or did they squeeze in a JVM after all?

<cite>@rickard said:</cite> I'll stick to my 360 for a while longer. Anyone knows how Minecraft runs on X360? A rewrite to XNA, or did they squeeze in a JVM after all?
I think that Minecraft doesn't use a JVM on some platforms.
<cite>@toolforger said:</cite> There is an OpenGL on top of DirectX, http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php?topic=1753.0 says. That's a decade old.
There is no need to look so far... Look at the rest of my post :)
<cite>@abies said:</cite> Even if jvm is there, what about opengl? I think it might be bigger issue than availablity of java.
JOGL 2 supports ANGLE (emulation of OpenGL-ES with Direct3D). Maybe the JogAmp runtime environment (Project Ji Gong) will work on Xbox One but there is no plan to support consoles for the moment.
<cite>@rickard said:</cite> I'll stick to my 360 for a while longer. Anyone knows how Minecraft runs on X360? A rewrite to XNA, or did they squeeze in a JVM after all?

4J Studios rewrote it from the ground up to work on 360