(August 2016) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

Crash into station? Well done?
Best quest ever 10/10 :clap:

4 Likes
8 Likes

Looks great but I would prefer other icons
I think they should be more starship-themed especially the medieval shield icon

Well unless there is some other source of hundreds of free to use professional icons, I’m sticking with google material design. I can’t make any that look half good myself.

1 Like

Oh so you do everything by your own :scream:
(Haha rhink at least a quarter of my course are graphics pros :yum:)

Not bad but maybe someone here is willing enough

1 Like

I LOVE YOUR GAME :heart:

2 Likes

End result of that:

http://i.imgur.com/9IUtmhu.gif

16 Likes

Saturday evening experiment:

Raytracing heightmap vs classical terrain:

http://imgur.com/y0rSuNy

http://imgur.com/lKGSC76

~100fps for the raytracer vs 3000 for the classical subdivided quad
Upside of the raytracer would be that switching lod’s with all its downsides would not be required. Not yet sure if i am going to try to optimize it with various techniques or if i close this experiment…

12 Likes

Just finished my own HDR with bloom filter. I just need to clean it up and make it smoother, then I can add it to my shader pack.

7 Likes

Everything is scaling nicely. Fonts, borders, rounded corners, outlines all scaled according to the screen density.

Sfntly worked out quite well for font rendering on Android. Sfntly did not support the ‘ankr’ table in truetype font files so I had to write that one in myself, although I haven’t been able to test it since I haven’t actually found any ttf files that include it. According to Apple’s web-site only OSX 10.9+ and iOS 7+ support it thus far. You can add jMonkeyEngine to that list :wink:

P.S. I forgot to add DPI scaling to the width of the text field and margins of the VBox, it’s just done by multiplying the value by a dpi modifier in GuiGlobals. It can be done using styles to, just use dp(value) or dpInt(value).

P.P.S. My phone is 320dpi, PC is 96.

10 Likes

I’ve been testing cutting through the background in certain underground biomes this week. Having fun dealing with all sorts of fun transparency issues and working around visual artifacts with ssao.

16 Likes

I’ve seen spoxel around for a while, you have a full length video yet that goes over what you can do in the game?

How’d you get that? Is there some kind of API for PC? I thought they always return a nonesense value of 72?
Your UI toolkit seems to be very nice by the way and maybe I will use it or at least Lemur.

I believe fonts default to the 72 dpi value, but what is returned by Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getScreenResolution() may be the actual density, it may not. I’m not sure what factors are at play that determine the accuracy of that. On my system running under Fedora it returned 96 although I just measured my screen and at a max resolution of 1366x768 my screen is actually 99dpi on both the width and height. 13.75"x7.75"

My UI toolkit is actually based on Lemur, it’s just Lemur with a bunch of modifications. You can grab the Beta 7 I uploaded last night: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6BscJ4Cq-K7ZUlJakxKZFRiTGs

You’ll need jME-TrueTypeFont if you plan on using the enhanced TextField: http://1337atr.weebly.com/jttf.html

It automatically detects if you’re running on Android, you don’t have to do anything special for it to work, but if you want fonts to scale based on screen density you want to use GuiGlobals.loadFontDP rather than GuiGlobals.loadFont. It doesn’t use Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getScreenResolution() to get the screen density, that method is not available on Android, it uses JmeAndroidSystem.getView().getResources().getDisplayMetrics().densityDpi.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. can you elaborate it more.

Slowly getting to the part where this thing will actually be functional :smile:

5 Likes

I have some footage but I haven’t put it together into a video yet. I was hampered for a long time due to a problem with jMonkey and Nvidia cards. I was seeing small stuttering problems which would have reflected negatively in any videos I made on the performance of the game. At first I thought it was a networking issue or something but I eventually traced it to the “Threaded Optimization” option in the Nvidia control panel. Basically it causes race conditions with the rendering which causes a micro stutter. I haven’t looked into it enough to know if there is a way to fix jmonkey to get rid of the micro stutter or if I need to write some c++ code to get a java binding to NVAPI to auto disable threaded optimization.

I’m a stickler for the rendering performance so I didn’t want to make a video that didn’t measure up to my quality standards. Since I can only work on Spoxel an hour or two a day I haven’t had a chance to put something together since then.

2 Likes

Outch. Would be interested in such a fix too.

I have constructed additional pylons. Also slopes if I haven’t mentioned that before?

Billboards now highlight when hovered over by the mouse and display a message when clicked…

…or start a quest.

And of course, meta self promotion. :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

Whoops, looks like I’ll have to add more modules to the app. :wink:
Good job otherwise! Looks amazing.

1 Like