BitmapText n and line spacing

Could we have setter for BitmapText that will set space between lines (like interline option in text editors like Word or OO.o Writer), because now, if I set text of BitmapText object and use line break (n), I get something like this:

LMHJF.png

See? Lines blends with eachother which makes reading it near to impossible.

And yes, I’ve used SDK to convert my TTF font made with Fontstruct into bitmap font and making game in sdk for quite some time though it doesn’t have for me any advantages over regular NB except font generator.

Here’s my fnt and png font files for future reference: http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/61274907/file.html

@dariuszg-jagielski said:
And yes, I've used SDK to convert my TTF font made with Fontstruct into bitmap font and making game in sdk for quite some time though it doesn't have for me any advantages over regular NB except font generator.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't automatically setup the asset folder properly for you. And it definitely doesn't provide one-click deployment to a variety of forms. Or maybe those things are just useless. The issue with noobish users not using the SDK is that we never know if the problem is with their setup or not. You are welcome to build with whatever you want and then always do the 10 message dance of trying to figure out why your environment works different.

Anyway, I don't know why, but your font is messed up. It has no spacing in it at all. Most regular fonts wouldn't be crammed together like that.

Well, I wanted to have custom font and don’t have money for professional font making software and FontForge is just too strange for me, so went with FontStruct. Maybe that’s the reason? I dunno. Either way it should add to font generator option to manually set spacing or setter suggested by me.

You can also try the non-built in font generator. BMFont - AngelCode.com

Which has a lot more options even though I think it’s interface is horrible and a little confusing.

BitmapText probably should have the option to set the line spacing. It could be a while before it makes it in, though. BitmapText is a pretty convoluted class and, from experience, little simple changes often have far-reaching consequences. (And anyway, in the future you will be more likely to get your message across successfully if you leave the snark out of your posts.)

pspeed, yeah I’ve tried that, but my Wine 1.5 is not happy with it.

pspeed, yeah I've tried that, but my Wine 1.5 is not happy with it.

I found that under wine with bmfont you cannot convert the space character for some reason, creating a font without works fine.. You'll have to assign another letter instead and then just remove the actual letter in an image editor so you get a space. The SDK font creator allows you to pad the spacing of the font though.

No, you misunderstood me - program crashes with “Program encountered bla bla bla due to bug or deficency in wine”

//edit: And even though I’ve applied padding in SDK’s generator, it still blends lines. The only visible result is that those funny glitchy lines over letters aren’t here anymore.

//edit #2: Current version of my bitmap font: http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/44941852/file.html

“my wine 1.5 is not happy with it” hasn’t got much to understand to it so I have to make assumptions… and I mean crashes too, but only on export. your again very unspecific sentence makes me assume you have the crash before you even get to see the UI or do anything.

Yes, it crashes even before UI. But don’t get off-topic, please.

Yes, it crashes even before UI. But don't get off-topic, please.

Nice. Developers behaving like 5-yr olds.

Nice. Developers behaving like 5-yr olds.

You dug your own grave...

OK, let’s get back on topic. Please add function I mentioned in OP.

Open the .fnt file and change the lineHeight value to your liking.

Tried that, didn’t work. But I’ve found workaround, so I’m fine for now. Still setLineHeight method would be good.

Then you did something wrong because that value is what is returned getLineHeight() which you want to have a setLineHeight() method for.

1 Like