(December 2018) Monthly WIP & Screenshot thread

Yeah, the red bit in the corner of the eye is nasty, but an important detail. I don’t know what you should do sorry, perhaps a more experienced modeler, like @nehon, may be able to help.

No idea what I will use this for, but I felt like practicing shaders and it ended up pretty cool. Had some ideas to use it as a GUI, but I really don’t want to go into hexagonal coordinate systems…

15 Likes

Hmm - maybe you can redo EPISODE 1

… of Star Trek

Sry - still struggling with resetting my Lemur and its shortly before I can leave back home, so I am just procrastinating a bit… you got a hearth from me

2 Likes

Hexagonal coordinates are not that hard, I recommend reading this:

1 Like

Hello! Monkeys!

Long time no talk! I’ve decided to use JMonkey for my Android and my Arcade Machine development. That should last for at least one year! So one year of contributions from me to the JMonkey community.

Hey, it feels nice to have a community, instead of being an LWJGL lone-ranger for my PC development.

You can see what I’ve been working on with LWJGL here:
twitter.com/pixelapp
and here:
Leap Game Demo

See you around Monkeys!

10 Likes

I did actually use that page while trying to position the hexagons properly, but didn’t read the coordinates section. Might try to tackle the coords too.

After getting over the initial hexagonal navigation wtf moment, it turns into a non issue. In game context, vast majority of tile to tile interactions are neighbour based, after authoring the getNeighbour methods, you rarely encounter anything hex coord related =)

Not to take away from that page, it is very helpful for getting to grips with the wtf =)

Working my way through generating different coral types, tube coral makes an easy target :

not intended to be used like this, but is stressing the extremes. Generated mesh computed from:

• initial growth direction
  • start position
  • vertical layer density
  • number of end cap rings
  • strength of ‘up seek’ : how much the tube moves towards the vertical
  • amount of horizontal wiggle between layers
  • amount of vertical shear (how flat the top of the tube is)
  • amount of horizontal drift
  • amount of scaling along the length

Some octaves of noise are shared between tubes so a “clump of tubes”, what I think of as a single tube coral plant, behave similar to their neighbours, other octaves are computed per tube to avoid uniformity. I’m finding it hard to source good material on generating good coral, or how coral grows or anything that can really help out, so I end up having to look at a metric ship tonne of photos and figure out some sort of model based on observations.

I like seeing these sort of behind the scenes bits and pieces of the development cycle, so its your turn now :wink:

8 Likes

I hope this week to have some screen shots. I’ve spent the past two weeks using my game dev time to work out a design issue in SimEthereal + Zay-ES-net. Tricky tricky.

…I think I’m zeroing in on a solution and I’m off for the holidays starting ‘now’. So hopefully some good updates soon.

The problem with working on back end stuff is there aren’t any screen shots. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ok, it’s not much… but after 3+ weeks of toiling over this, I finally have it working:

In range:

Out of range:

It seems like a small thing but notice how not only do the objects disappear but also the “mobs” count goes down.

Prior to my recent SimEthereal and Zay-ES-net changes, this was super hard to achieve. The Sim-eth-es example would show/hide the objects as appropriate and the client would stop getting updates but the BodyPosition components would still be visible in the ES so technically all clients were still managing the objects.

That was super lame.

After several false starts and lots of designing and redesigning, what I ended up with is super simple. I’m kind of happy this is working now… though really I wish I’d had this done before the holidays so I could have spent my whole vacation working on fun Mythruna-related stuff instead.

Oh well, working is working.

7 Likes

How did you achieve this? Do you have a listener on the server that removes the components for the client?

SimEthereal’s NetworkStateListener now keeps a thread-safe (for readers) set of active IDs.

In Zay-ES-Net, each HostedEntityData that provides ES services per client already has an EntityDataWrapper that was previously just used to accumulate per-client entity changes. Now it also has the ability to have pluggable component visibility filters. These take over findEntities(), getComponent(), etc. for a particular type of component.

Putting these things together, I have a ComponentVisibility object for BodyPosition that filters out the ‘invisible’ BodyPosition components for that client based on the current membership of NetworkStateListener’s active ID set. Sort of. There is actually a caching of active IDs happening inside of BodyVisibility so that a) there are consistent results between applyChanges() and b) so that we can send ‘fake’ component updates for the objects that enter/leave the visibility set.

THIS WAS VERY TRICKY. I’m very happy that it ended up being so little code in the end because my original implemented solution was 5x as much code changes and then didn’t even work in the end.

Salient changes:

…and so on.

findEntities() will go through one more refactoring to make sure it can handle multiple ComponentVisibility and clean it up a bunch. I was just happy to have everything working and so I checked it in.

3 Likes

Got bored writing my main game. I tend to lose focus if I don’t take a break from it once in a while, so thought I’d write a car game for fun. I had to write a multi-layer pager so I could choose view-distances for each layer, exclude layers from collision, instance layers, etc… I almost got sucked into the whole mudrunner thing, but don’t think I could pull it off without taking too much time away from my main game. At least I have a good test bed for vehicles now, I guess.

13 Likes

metal material woman with one eye looks like this one :smiley:

hair is still ugly ;/

7 Likes

Well, would anybody like to play “Guess the car”? :smiley:

Guess the name of the car in the pictures!

Do you know this car?
Hint: Its platform has roots in Italy.
Winner may choose the award.

BTW: I can see a big progress how my graphic is better and better with more details. There are a large difference between my first and my last (this) car. We are ALL making better and better. I’m so glad.

4 Likes

Gave big G a shot:

https://i.imgur.com/tECYLEA.png

I vote for “classic car” :smile:

3 Likes

the front looks like a delta. so it is a lancia.

she should be white with martini stickers all over

1 Like

Frankly, it looks like a lot of cars from the late 1970s early 1980s time period. I originally thought “boxier version of X” a few times. And even a Delorean has some similar style points.

Nice, though. They are definitely looking more distinct.

Edit: And even a Lancia I found has some noticeable differences:
Imgur

1 Like

I also thought of the Lancia Delta Integrale, but it’s the only Italian Car I know from that era :smiley:
https://modernclassics.cc/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Delta-Integrale-1200x630.jpg
Edit: It misses the Back-View Picture I linked, link became invalid, but the rear lights are slightly different, I guess that’s artistically wanted tho:

https://cdn.bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/59e9596a7785c_integrale_right_rear_0-940x718.jpg

2 Likes

Ok. second chance.
The backlights are from an 80’s alfa romeo alfasu ti

unfortunately there are a bazillon subtypes with different front lights

1 Like