Field of fire indicator

Has anyone written a custom mesh that generated a 2D field of fire indicator that is based on a firing arc? For example a 90 degree firing arc. I was about to write one but reinventing the wheel is not efficient.

You can use Blender or other tool to create such assets for game.

I would prefer a dynamic mesh because I have field of fire bufs in the game that can modify the angles.

So, you basically want a mesh of an arc, with parameters, eg length and angle of arc? Well, I do not have such thing, maybe others do, thou you can just write one in few mins.

Such a thing probably doesnā€™t exist as itā€™s pretty game specificā€¦

Do you have an example of what it should look like?

Here is a visual example ā€¦

EDIT: Yes I need min and max range too

This seems somewhat related to a different thread talking about radial progress indicators and a kind of simple shader trick + gradient textures to make it happen.

A quick search on ā€œradial progress indicatorā€ returned nothing. Do you remember a key word from that thread by chance?

Wowā€¦ search totally failed in this case. I tried searching for ā€˜radialā€™ and ā€˜progressā€™ā€¦ and it didnā€™t find this post:

ā€¦despite the fact that both of those words are right in the title. I had to scroll down to find it. Really instills confidence in the search feature.

Edit: I was able to search and find it by changing the options to sort by latest post. But man.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a super cool trick ā€¦ I can adapt it and create a shader the works of off a gradient line and set the material to repeat and then I will be able to apply it to any mesh and turn that mesh into a progress bar. SUPER cool!

Just fixed the title (it seems that isnā€™t a good idea to merge the / separator with the names)

You know youā€™re a game dev when you use shaders to create progress bars. :wink:

1 Like

Most of the cool coding in my game is done with shaders lol

1 Like