Increase your math-fu

This series is so good:

Such a great way to teach “imaginary” numbers.

13 Likes

I remember being told to say “no real roots” instead of just no roots when doing our root b^2 - 4ac but we never got told why to say it. I like my numbers real!

I watched this with my son, who is a mini-me, and watching his little brain glow when he saw that 2 - 3 apples is the definition of “imaginary” and that it seeing why negative numbers didn’t make sense was pretty cool. I have to admit I’ve not come across the parabola incident before. Cool.

Yeah, I have to admit that one of my big problems fully understanding imaginary numbers over the years has been this “imaginary” blockage. “Those aren’t real… they feel too convenient” etc… So this video really put things in perspective and dashed a bunch of conceptual walls that have been holding me back for decades. My brain started seeing insights that were forbidden previously.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks for sharing!

I couldn’t stop at the first video so I watched all the 13, very nice series.

Spoiler

I didn’t know about Reiman surfaces they look so " weird". and using colours to describe the 4 dimension that’s clever.

1 Like

those are some more good videos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the voice and the narration of this guy. I also watched 3Blue1Brown and he is awesome too. Thanks for sharing this.

3b1b is really nice. I find too often that I’m all excited to be gaining so much insight to suddenly get lost at 75% of the way through. I end up having to watch them multiple times.

While we’re talking about math-related sites… numberphile is a lot of fun:

And I really like Mathologer:

It’s especially nice because he counters some of the others when they get the explanation wrong or are just confusing. And I think he’s kind of funny.

And you also can’t go wrong with Minutephysics:

Edit: oh, and I recently subscribed to standupmaths:

…after seeing him a few times on Numberphile and having bought his book (still on the ‘to read’ stack)

2 Likes

For another one to add to your list there this guy is pretty good as well:

The guy is a maths teacher in Australia but he covers some interesting stuff. Basically he films himself giving the lecture in class and uploads it to youtube.

I imagine you guys have already seen xkcd and their math related forums then :slight_smile:

Here are some math textbooks in .pdf form that you all might find useful that I’ve uploaded to my website, download em if you want I will probably take them off soonish.

Linear Algebra Text

Differential Equations Text

new interactive videos about quaternions

2 Likes