Is the code for ParticleController - Next Generation Particle Emitters available

I have been looking at the mesh based particle emitters as described here and it appears to be exactly what I need. However, I haven’t been able to find where the library/source code for it actually is, only its documentation and examples of people using an earlier version of it.

Is the code for this ParticleController in a library bundled with JMonkey (similar to jme3-test-data) or available elsewhere or just not available at all until it makes it into core JME?

@richtea said: I have been looking at the mesh based particle emitters as described here and it appears to be exactly what I need. However, I haven't been able to find where the library/source code for it actually is, only its documentation and examples of people using an earlier version of it.

Is the code for this ParticleController in a library bundled with JMonkey (similar to jme3-test-data) or available elsewhere or just not available at all until it makes it into core JME?

I think the particle emitter in the wiki is already a plugin that you can find in the plugins list in the SDK. Just tick a box and update it. @zarch may be able to say more since he put it together.

@richtea said: I have been looking at the mesh based particle emitters as described here and it appears to be exactly what I need. However, I haven't been able to find where the library/source code for it actually is, only its documentation and examples of people using an earlier version of it.

These are two different particle systems. @zarch released his… I didn’t. Well… until he did… heh.

The one he posted doesn’t have some of the features from the original thread. Soooo… if your looking for static particles, animated particles or particles that follow animated meshes, your not gonna find it there.

I may still release it eventually… I just don’t want to cause any more confusion then there already is over it.

Argh… I need to look the other way fast. The OP actually creditted him with my work as an “earlier version” of HIS particle system???

Oh God… Mr Furious said it best… now… where is a stress ball when you need one >.<

@t0neg0d said: These are two different particle systems. @zarch released his... I didn't. Well... until he did... heh.

The one he posted doesn’t have some of the features from the original thread. Soooo… if your looking for static particles, animated particles or particles that follow animated meshes, your not gonna find it there.

I may still release it eventually… I just don’t want to cause any more confusion then there already is over it.

If he was looking at the wiki page then he was looking at zarch’s system.

@pspeed said: If he was looking at the wiki page then he was looking at zarch's system.

You obviously didn’t click both the links… or even read what he said then >.<

@t0neg0d said: You obviously didn't click both the links... or even read what he said then >.<

No, I actually did… he got that thread from the wiki page because zarch tried to be nice and credit you for inspiration.

But if he was looking at the videos on the wiki page then he’s looking for zarch’s released system.

I realise the two are different versions created by different people, I called one an earlier version of the other just because the “Next generation Particle Emiiter” stated that it was “inspired by and uses some code from t0neg0ds particle emitters”.

While the videos from the influencer-based-particleemitter-candidate look amazing all I really need is the ability to emit from a static mesh, so either would work for me.

Looking at the available plugins I can’t find the one that mentions this:
Imgur

JME relevant plugins (including those not on the screenshot):
Mirror Monkey
Audio/Video capture
Image painter
Cubes
mercilessFX
quakeMonkey
TheForester
Voce Speech recognition
shaderBloblib
zzzzSimbleBoxelWorld
JME3 AILibrary
JME2Loader
Collader Support
Lightwave LWO support
Directx Mesh File support
NeoTextureEditor
iOSSupport
InspectorMonkeyTerrainVisualiser
ViewportcolorChooser
jMECodeTemplates
savablegenerator
tonegodGUI
tonegodSkyDemo
tree-generator

@t0neg0d said: Argh.... I need to look the other way fast. The OP actually creditted him with my work as an "earlier version" of HIS particle system???!?

Oh God… Mr Furious said it best… now… where is a stress ball when you need one >.<

Time to start reading the actual code to turn anger into embarrassment.

Trying to keep this on topic and civil, I think this was the original post. Our forum has shit the bed so I can’t actually read it but google gives me a good indication:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/new-particle-library-plugin-coming-soon/

…so maybe it never made it to an actual plugin yet.

It finally loaded (5 minutes later)… and I don’t see a code link.

Looks like the code is here: http://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyplatform-contributions/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2FParticleController

…don’t know if there is a prebuilt download or not. Hopefully @zarch will respond at some point though I think he’s been busy lately.

1 Like
@pspeed said: It finally loaded (5 minutes later)... and I don't see a code link.

Looks like the code is here: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

…don’t know if there is a prebuilt download or not. Hopefully @zarch will respond at some point though I think he’s been busy lately.

Thank you! I’ll have a play around with this

Sorry guys, new contract is eating a lot of my time so I’m hardly on-line.

The code is in the contributions repository as per pspeed’s link but it never published as a plugin and since the nightly build was broken at the time there was no way to do so.

@zarch said: Sorry guys, new contract is eating a lot of my time so I'm hardly on-line.

The code is in the contributions repository as per pspeed’s link but it never published as a plugin and since the nightly build was broken at the time there was no way to do so.

Have played about with it and it’s exactly what I wanted, thanks Zarch.

The one thing I couldn’t find was making particles align themselves with their velocity (to make things like sparks which are long and thin in the direction of travel) but it was very easy to write my own influencer to achieve that

[java]
public class ParticleFacingInfluencer implements ParticleInfluencer {

private static Quaternion working = new Quaternion();

public ParticleFacingInfluencer() {
}

@Override
public void influenceParticleCreation(ParticleController ctrl, int index, ParticleData data) {

}

@Override
public void influenceParticle(ParticleController ctrl, int index, ParticleData data, float tpf) {
    working.lookAt(data.velocity,Vector3f.UNIT_X);
    data.rotation.set(working);
}

@Override
public void write(JmeExporter ex) throws IOException {
    OutputCapsule oc = ex.getCapsule(this);
}

@Override
public void read(JmeImporter im) throws IOException {
    InputCapsule ic = im.getCapsule(this);

}

@Override
protected Object clone() throws CloneNotSupportedException {
    ParticleFacingInfluencer clone = (ParticleFacingInfluencer) super.clone();
    return clone;
}

@Override
public ParticleInfluencer cloneForController(ParticleController controller) {
    return new ParticleFacingInfluencer();
}

} [/java]

For this to work QuadMesh needs to be used as the mesh

I think that’s supported as one of the billboarding modes for the quad mesh.

@zarch said: I think that's supported as one of the billboarding modes for the quad mesh.

Ah yes, here we go [java]QuadMeshBillboardStrategy.VELOCITY_Z_UP[/java] achieves this. Not sure how I missed that one (especially given that I had to choose a BillboardStrategy to use the QuadMesh

@normen said:

Time to start reading the actual code to turn anger into embarrassment.

And when did you review my code? Either way… it’s a pitiful shame what happened… and a constant reminder of exactly what type of people are involved here.

EDIT: Scratch this conversation. You already have @zarch 's nose as a perch for your ass… and I certainly ain’t offering up mine as a replacement.

It’s going hot here.
Guys, I respect you all. You need more love. Just don’t be so angry please.

2 Likes

I must admit I thought JMonkey was a collaborative work and didn’t quite realise the firestorm I was walking into here

@t0neg0d said: And when did you review my code? Either way... it's a pitiful shame what happened... and a constant reminder of exactly what type of people are involved here.

EDIT: Scratch this conversation. You already have @zarch 's nose as a perch for your ass… and I certainly ain’t offering up mine as a replacement.

No, I say you should read the code that you assume was “stolen” from you. Not talking about asses or nose or anything and your moaning here certainly is not a conversation but a shame, yes.

@richtea said: I must admit I thought JMonkey was a collaborative work and didn't quite realise the firestorm I was walking into here

Yes, well, I guess zarch thought so too ^^