jME, JME, or...?

Please note: This is not a very serious discussion; more of a peculiarity about the jMonkeyEngine that we might have a fun time scrutinizing. Even by the off chance that we come to a resolution of sorts, I can't promise a wave of the dictator stick and immediate conformity, sorry.

My problem is as simple as it is: When using the abbreviated form of jMonkeyEngine, I tend to write jME and JME (notice the capital J?) interchangeably. I've noticed several others do the same thing. While I feel JMonkeyEngine doesn't quite look right, I can't make up my mind for the abbreviated form.

What's a jMonkey to do…?

+1, pwned ^^

I am sure there is only one way to go: write them interchangeably.

The first thing is to state the obvious - this question is all about making the name follow the Java programming language's naming conventions.  Having been a C++ programmer for years and just getting into Java, I have to say I've always found the Java naming conventions a little odd.  That being said, virtually every Java Programming class taught out there teaches standard naming conventions for Java code.  The two relevant rules, I believe, are:

- For variables, use lower-case for the first letter and capitals for the first letter of the remaining words

• For constant names, use all upper-case separating words with underscores

When it becomes less clear, is when you are talking about acronyms.  In that case, programmers split two ways:

- Consider each letter/abbreviation as individual words

• Consider the whole acronym as one word

So there are two questions that must be answered, before it can be decided whether to use jME or JME:

1) Should the name be considered a variable or a constant?

1. Should each letter of the acronym be considered a word, or the whole acronym a single word?

All Possiblities:
  2. variable, single-word:  jme

3. variable, multi-word:  jME

4. constant, single-word:  JME

5. constant, multi-word:  J_M_E

My personal thoughts - I would go with #2.  Of course I can understand the reasoning behind #3 as well, which is probably why the question was posed in the first place.

+rep

Well we can't technically call jME a constant since it isn't one.  It's not static and it's not final… Furthermore, it is a variable of type GameEngine since one makes the decision to use jME in their game development effort.  The type GameEngine defies enumeration and is best left as a solid interface.

Now, this causes a problem since jME should be JMonkeyEngine as it will implement the GameEngine interface.  I, however, feel that since we're discussing the JMonkeyEngine object in terms of its use, we should refer to it by the variable name assigned to it.  I favor brevity and am naming my instance of JMonkeyEngine 'jME'. (though in the real world I would I have a habit of using lowercase if I'm abbreviating ('PickResults pr;')

I'm glad that we're finally giving this topic the serious thought that it requires.

Well, you should consider following possibility:

Since we're colding in good Java Style, we will of courses use the Interface to referenzkurs to our instance:

GameEngine jME;

So, as you can see, I consider jME to be a whole, so jME is one word.
Now, we need a good initialization, I think a constructor, is not what we want.
Because, if for example, jME3 gets stable, we don't want to change code, but only update the Library (and since we're only using methods defined in the GameEngine Interface and both jME2 and jME3 will extend GameEngine, this should be easy.)
So, I think, a static factory would be better, a good name for it would be MomokoFactory, since moth work is done by him.

So, I want Momoko to create a GameEngine, I call:

GameEngine jME = Momoko.createJMonkeyEngine(RenderSystem.LWJGL);

this will give me the most recent implementation.
But, if I want jME2, i will call:

GameEngine jME2 = Momoko.createJME2();

So, this makes everything clear, doesn't it?
And sorry, I got a bit off-topic, on this future deciding, most important, trending Thread!
tim8dev said:
So, I think, a static factory would be better, a good name for it would be MomokoFactory, since moth work is done by him.
Momoko.

And sorry, I got a bit off-topic, on this future deciding, most important, trending Thread!
We are indeed writing history.

Yeah that Momoko sure can create some engines

Momoko_Fan said:

Yeah that Momoko sure can create some engines

I heard he has monkeys writing all the code in his basement for minimum wage and no health benefits ;)
sbook said:

I heard he has monkeys writing all the code in his basement for minimum wage and no health benefits ;)

Momoko Tsugunaga (嗣永 桃子, Tsugunaga Momoko, born March 6, 1992 in Chiba, Japan) is a J-pop singer. Her career began in 2002 when she successfully auditioned for the Hello! Project Kids, an all-female adolescent pop group within Hello! Project. Since then, she has continued to sing in that group and has become a part of three smaller groups composed of Hello! Project Kids members, ZYX, Berryz Kobo and Buono!. Momoko is the self-proclaimed leader of Buono.

That Hello!Project website is quite possibly one of the most curious things I've ever seen. Very confusing, especially since I don't speak Japanese.  But as long as you like it!..

Ok, its back to writing a super cool local cache manager for me; University graduation in 9 hours :wink:

sbook said:

That Hello!Project website is quite possibly one of the most curious things I've ever seen. Very confusing, especially since I don't speak Japanese.  But as long as you like it!...

Ok, its back to writing a super cool local cache manager for me; University graduation in 9 hours ;)

Cool, hope you graduate!
And this is not the Momoko I am a fan of, when I made the nickname, this Momoko didn't exist yet :P
I don't see what is confusing about the website, apart from the language. You haven't seen some of the other Japanese websites around, marquee abuse can really hurt :D