JMonkeyEngine and Blender integration (Just a Suggestion)[RESOLVED]

I suggest to spend more effort in the plugin to convert Blender models to j3o models because Blender is open source and widely used. Furthermore, blender can be used as an intermediate platform, as has powerful extension to convert the format of the major Market formats for blender models. Any fail in current 3.0 JME is:

1. Rotation and translation not apply when we convert from blend to j3o.
  2. Material convertion is weak, mainly because importante features yet not supported in convertion. I have not found an easy way to convert procedural textures from blender to JME.

However, the functional current converter very well in general. It is possible, with some effort, working with both tools (Blender and JME). But an experience more “fluid” would be interesting. Finally, JME is nice, it has a great productivity :smile:

I look forward to your patches.

(Note: if it were an easy problem then it would already be solved but blender is a pretty horrible format for games.)

Do you have any example of another game engine that can import blender directly with all the features that jME supports currently?

Hi normen, in fact, not. It’s great the current job. I just wanted to point out that this can be a good advantage over other alternatives. And that focus more on that compatibility may be more advantageous. But maybe you’re focusing on something very narrow.

PS.: (I intend to contribute, but I’m still learning a few things)

1 Like

Yes, I want to contribute. But for now, I’m starting to use the tool. As for the blender format, in fact, I have heard that is not very friendly. :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

As our documentation indicates, 3D modeling software is not explicitly made for creating models that will be rendered live by a GPU. They are made to create models that will be rendered frame by frame by raytracing engines. Thus naturally 80% of all the options and functions of a 3d modeler don’t apply for game models. You can use blender to create normal maps from hipoly models to apply them on lowpoly versions, bake projected textures to normal UV textures and more which is helpful in creating game compatible models though.

1 Like

Thank you for your nice explanation. It’s making sense.

Hi
I also like to contribute but have no knowledge for it and want to learn. but do not know what should I start with.
Can you say what (subjects) are you studding for doing this?
thanks.

Hi Ali, I started the book JMonkeyEngine 3.0 Begginer’s Guide
. Currently, seek information on the hub and own documentation of JME. Also read the wiki topics Wiki.

1 Like

I read that book.
I think we should also learn OpenGL and LWJGL and also Python(for blender) to know what is going on in background.
So we can contribute . Right?

1 Like

Have you guys looked at the xbuf project?
It’s still in the earlyer stages, but allows (also as a small part) to use jme as a blender renderer. This will greatly reduce the feedback, as everything can be.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve mastered OpenGL and Blender and I program in Python. I thought your question was restricted to JME.Even already I played around with BGE. Already do programming about 13 years. So I program in: C ++, Prolog e JavaScript. I yet created shaders to WebGL. Realy, I need learning LWJGL.

1 Like

Oh my god.You are great .
I am a complete beginner here .
I am a BS student. I am programming for 3 years. I started with Java
I worked with blender. know a little C And want to learn also Python ,C++, Java Script , Open GL, LWJGL .
I am 23 years old.
Can I ask how old are you?

I am no big deal, I only just studied. I still need to create something interesting with it :smile: . I’m thirty-four years old.