Lightspeed Frontier Closed Alpha

@MoffKalast Just curious, did you send the build out yet?
Because I signed up yesterday evening. :wink:

Yes, he sent it.

Then I signed up too late. :frowning:

@Robbi_Blechdose Yep, sorry you missed the bus. Don’t worry though, there’ll be a new version soon enough.

Well that’s quite odd, does it also happen in windowed mode?

yes, after closing

After closing? Wait you mean this happens after you exit the game?

If you use fullscreen mode, it happens on start. If you use window mode, it happens after closing.

I honestly have no idea what could have caused that but for what it’s worth, there’s a new version of the drivers (367.35) that might help.

I and my friends had this problem with old version of JME on different versions of ubuntu and different versions of nvidia driver.

I hate to ask… But what do I do? I’ve followed the tutorial, killed a few enemies, but doesn’t seem much else to do.

Also, is it multiplayer? How do I fight other players?

Nope, no multiplayer yet (or soon for that matter). What you can do now is essentially what you described, apart from buying stuff at stations and exploring. If you come across any black holes you can enter one to get to an area with more challenging opposition.

The goal is to make the largest and most powerfull ship.

The game does use a version that’s about a year old now, but I’m not planning to update any time soon…

So after @pspeed graciously solved my camera roll problem I managed to finish the new chase camera controls and that means a new update is coming around soon. Soon as in in a few hours from now.

Thanks to everyone that’s been busy testing and providing bug reports, keep 'em coming.

Alpha V0.04 Changelog:

###Additions:

• Display that shows the name and distance of passing ships from you in meters and feet.
  • New additional warp effect.
  • New npc ship death explosion sound and visual effects.
  • Asteroids are now destructible although they don’t drop any ore yet.
  • Arrows that point towards objects of interest/hostiles if the said object is nearby and not on screen.
    ###Changes:
  • Mostly re-done the chase camera mode, should be a lot easier to make fine adjustments to your heading, fly straight and aim.
  • Info display now opens on click instead of mouse hover.
    ###Fixes:
  • Space stations now spin around their center of mass.
  • Loading a ship without anything selected no longer changes your ship into a command pod.
  • Going to warp with engines turned on doesn’t waste 2x power anymore.
  • Small fixes.

News is on the devlog too.

Still waiting for the mail…

@MoffKalast I can’t get the game to load. It freezes up at random points during loading. I noticed it also takes a massive amount of time to load.

Would you be willing to share the loading code with the community so perhaps we can figure a way to make it more efficient ?

Yeah sorry guys, there was a delay with QA. The build will be sent out today I hope.

@jojoofu That’s odd I never had any reports of that and I usually have it loaded in less than 20 seconds (on a 7200rpm HDD) . The loading is done on a separate thread with callables and the rest is up to the asset manager. After I add a main menu there’ll be some preloading but otherwise I don’t think this can be improved other than by buying a faster storage device.

Maybe a corrupt download then. I’ll download it again. It gets to the pixel part and freezes.

Yeah indeed… i load it from an encrypted partition and it doesn’t take more than 30 seconds.

Okay , I got it loaded up and played it for a few minutes and unfortunately I found it not playable. The controls made it unplayable. If you hold a button down for more than a fraction of a second the ship spins wildly. If you tap the button it turns to slowly.

Have you considered making the turn at a steady pace ? I would also suggest a standard wasd. Where W and S tilt front to back and A and D tilt from side to side then use something like the spacebar for thrusters.

The controls where so difficult that I overshot the yellow ring then I couldn’t get my ship lined back up.

This sort of feedback may be better addressed in Lightspeed Frontier’s own forums, but sounds to me like you are getting very low framerates. I had similar issues until I tweaked the graphics settings. To check, hit backspace to get out of the tutorial, then f3 to bring up the standard statistics box.

I have signed up, and I’ve also got a confirmation email. But I don’t see any link to download the game.