Message to all in Contributor group and up. THE TRUTH IS OUT!

Male to dog @Sploreg Male to dog… sigh

:facepalm:

2 Likes

So when do us peons get our curiosity satisfied?

By next Monday at the latest you guys should be in-the-know. Maybe at the earliest Sunday if I made up my mind by then.

1 Like

I think madjack is screwing around with us :stuck_out_tongue: I hope he feels the guilt of slowly killing us xD

All I will say is, it’s been a rough negotiation.

1 Like

yh @madjack spill the beans :frowning:

Unrelated to JME means its not likely a licensing issue. Someone said something that got you mad, which has nothing to do with JME but something to do with game development. And you wanted advice before you responded.

Could be that someone said your game infringes on his/her copyright.

guys… the dog thing was not a joke…

This thread is really stupid imho. Post what you want to everyone or just don’t tease and let the people feel miserable, because they are not in some elite group. So much for open source and what it represents eh … Just my 2 bits …

@InShadow said:
This thread is really stupid imho. Post what you want to everyone or just don't tease and let the people feel miserable, because they are not in some elite group. So much for open source and what it represents eh ... Just my 2 bits ...

The reason he did it was because otherwise we never would have seen the other group.

He was negotiating price for something with a third party and didn't want to drag that all out in the open if his issues were with his or the third party's understanding of the situation or the ways of the world.

When you all finally find out what it was really about you will probably be disappointed. It's not that big of a deal, really.
1 Like

Jeah don’t get my post too seriously. :slight_smile:

I know that there surely was some reason for this, I just hate when people are being teased. Just remember all trailers for some epic game you used to play and the sequel is announced. :wink:

Regarding “open source”, well if I am a part of open source community I expect that its really “open” and issues regarding it are publicly debated. But probably this wasn’t it, so nevermind.

@InShadow said:Regarding "open source", well if I am a part of open source community I expect that its really "open" and issues regarding it are publicly debated. But probably this wasn't it, so nevermind.

I agree fully, and that's exactly why I phased out the private board we had in our older forum. The only reason madjack is updating this thread, which triggers the unfortunate "tease effect", is because he started the conversation in a hard-to-follow activity stream as opposed to a thread, because there's no forum for the contributor group, i.e. it's not intended for discussion.

If there's a next time, madjack would probably be better off privately messaging a group of people.

You guys are funny and sad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Be patient. This has nothing to do with jME3, Open Source, you all (not directly anyway). As Paul said, it’s a situation where I needed information and pick some brains to get my facts straights.

As for teasing, there is no such thing. Posting that message here was indeed the only way to get feedback on the situation without publicly posting all the details. The “Contributor” group is a closed group that needs special permissions to access, thus is private from search engine parsing and such.

1 Like
@pspeed said:
The reason he did it was because otherwise we never would have seen the other group.

He was negotiating price for something with a third party and didn't want to drag that all out in the open if his issues were with his or the third party's understanding of the situation or the ways of the world.

When you all finally find out what it was really about you will probably be disappointed. It's not that big of a deal, really.

Sheesh wake me when something exciting happens! had I known thats all it was, I wouldnt have posted!

Jokes I guess it makes sense. Those negotiations are kinda private. Blame human curiosity!

@InShadow

Got nothing to do with open source - his post had nothing to do with JME, as mentioned.

Since you guys have been curious, and understandably so, I will explain most of what happened in the last week or so in that hidden Contributor’s group “thread”.

Several weeks ago I contacted a music composer, out of the blue, after hearing his music. No need to say that I simply love what he does and the sounds that come off his songs. I always listen to classical music on Jango.com, and that’s where I heard several of his songs.

To my surprise, he replied and he told me he was curious about my project. We exchanged some emails.

Then, one day, as talks got more involved he offered me a “deal”. There was 3 options.

1 - Since that option was if the game was to be free, it was irrelevant.

2 - I could pay half upfront and the rest later once he was done doing the music for Disenthral (that’s my game’s name). There was no mention of how much that would be. Only 1/2 now, 1/2 at completion.

3 - A profit sharing plan. I wouldn’t have to pay anything upfront and nothing once he was done and nothing for mixing, post-processing, etc, BUT I would have to share the game’s profits (that I intend to sell at 20$) 60/40. (Me/Him)

As I’m a poor-ass developer, I was interested in not paying anything. Even my original email was asking if he would be interested to create a musical score for CREDITS only. Anyway. No need to say that sharing 40% of my profits floored me. It took me several hours to become slightly less angry. In short, I was seeing it as he would profit from the long hours I’ve put into my game from day 1 while he would gain from doing music in maybe a month or so, while I had been working for over a year and a half. I was raging, seething and well… You can imagine.

The problem is, I really really like his songs. And, on the other hand, I’ve never had to deal with “subcontractors” before and, although I doubted it, it was still possible his “price” was the norm, or not far from it. This, after all, is haggling. I give you a price, you give me one until either we are happy or we disagree and go our ways… At that point I had to ask people I trust. Thus this thread and the following ruckus that it caused. :wink:

Now. The good thing is this ends with a happy ending.

After much talk and several email exchanges, me and the composer (which will remain nameless until the deal is “signed”) have agreed to collaborate.

I will not give any prices, but suffice to say that he agreed to do the game’s main theme + each of the race’s theme (that’s 9 themes total) for 1 price. I won’t have to pay him before (and if) the game sells for more than (undisclosed)$. Once the game attains that net revenue from sales I’ll have to pay him the entirety of the agreed amount.

Well, there you have it.

Happy now? :stuck_out_tongue:

PS: If that post suddenly disappears it might be because I was asked to keep this as quiet as possible. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like a fair compromise deal :slight_smile:

Cool, sounds like a good deal for both of you.

I’m going through a similar thing. I’m currently looking for people to do my artwork/modelling/animation for me. I’m willing to pay them, obviously my pockets are not unlimited. The two guys who are the front runners at the moment, both say that they need some money every month to survive, but could potentially be willing to sacrifice some of their fee in exchange for shares in the business.

I dont really like this negotiating stuff for some reason. Not that it has got to that stage yet, still waiting for the “final” quotes.

Can we see some new updates on this game? :slight_smile: Last one was around half a year ago? :slight_smile:

i would just steal my music/sounds from the net, cheaper that way

Your not a proper indie developer if u pay other people to do your work @madjack, you’ve sold us out :frowning: its all about the solo

Indie musician: “Man, these people keep ripping off my music and I don’t have money to pay a lawyer. Think I’ll just go play some of these ‘free’ games I downloaded.”

Indie developer: “Man, these people keep ripping off my game and playing without paying. Maybe I need some better music… hey this stuff doesn’t have DRM, it must be free, right?”