Message to all in Contributor group and up. THE TRUTH IS OUT!

dw @pspeed in a month when i become a full time jME developer, i will look into making my own music :slight_smile: @normen is gonna teach me

@wezrule said:
dw pspeed in a month when i become a full time jME developer, i will look into making my own music :) normen is gonna teach me

Impossible, you don't have a Mac :P

nooooo :frowning:

Well, not big deal at all. I’m planning to do something like that also, but that’s with a friend of mine, someone I know and trust.

@shirkit said:
Well, not big deal at all. I'm planning to do something like that also, but that's with a friend of mine, someone I know and trust.

That's what we've been saying all along. "It's not a big deal." But when there's secrecy, people have the tendency to think all sort of weird stuff.
1 Like

@wezrule

Using music composed with Mario Composer doesn’t count. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
@madjack said:
Using music composed with Mario Composer doesn't count. :P

I can really only recommend Propellerhead Reason. It comes with an abundance of instruments and effects, sounds great and scales up to full productions easily, even in the basic version. Not to mention it is the most stable and CPU conservative audio application on this planet and that doesn't mean it makes compromises, its just coded totally paranoid performance-wise. Add a simple small MIDI keyboard with some rotary knobs and you will become a musician after a while just because its so captivating ^^ Oh, and it runs on windows too ;P

..and anyone complaining about the price or thinking about torrenting the software especially in this thread.. eherm.. :D
1 Like

I’ll suggest Reaper too.

Great program! Comes in x64/x86 for Winblows and Mac. The software has a 30 days trial without any crippling. After that it’s 60$. Quite a steal if you ask me.

But, things being equal, you have to have an affinity and time to compose. The same goes for programming I might add.

1 Like
@InShadow said:
Can we see some new updates on this game? :) Last one was around half a year ago? :)

Not before it's ready. I live on Valve Time.
1 Like
@madjack said:
Quite a steal if you ask me.

Yeah but it doesn't come with a lot of instruments and if you have the option to add more awesome instruments with such cool examples on their websites you are prone to spend more and more ;) Then add to that that all these instruments work in a different way and each requires you to adapt your workflow to it at least somewhat (e.g. loading presets, undo, how buttons work) you really need a plan if its about making music w/o distractions and not about learning new software :) IMO you can't do proper professional sounding music out of the box with Reaper w/o paying more for instruments and effects, at least not as easily as with Reason.

Reason on the other hand comes with a lot of great instruments and sounds and nothing is "scaled down" sound-wise in the basic version. Everything works the same all the way through so no need to learn anything twice, you just get better and better with it. There are obviously also sample packs to buy etc. if you really need something new instrument-wise but it will not lead you down the road of "oh with this instrument or effect I'll make some great music, what I have now just doesn't cut".
And if you want to you can build almost every effects device or synthesizer/sampler on this planet with Reason (at least to a degree so you can find out if you really need that). All signal flow is happening with actual cables in the application so you can do anything you could with real devices.

As you say, composing (not to mention learning to compose) is time consuming enough, woes with software is not something you'd want to add to that.. Reason is like jME - java all the way, other sequencers are more like UDK - lots of different languages and API's ;)
1 Like
@normen said:
Yeah but it doesn't come with a lot of instruments and if you have the option to add more awesome instruments with such cool examples on their websites you are prone to spend more and more ;)

Yes, I agree. But there are some nice free sample packs available.

I found it relatively easy to use and there are many YT videos. Although I don't know about Reason; it sounds like a good software package.
1 Like

Reason is a really good software, and kind of cheap considering what you get. Personally I like FL Studio (I know, please don’t judge me too hard :P) but you need to equip it with some extra instruments/effects which will not come cheap… In particular I like how the sequencing is done in FL and I seriously hope it got better in recent versions of Reason, never liked it before.

On Mac there is also Logic which is a great software, where the light version will take you quite far :slight_smile:

One should not worry too much about the tools though, I’ve composed some of my best tunes on my iPad… limit the possibilities can be great for productivity :slight_smile:

@kwando said:
On Mac there is also Logic which is a great software, where the light version will take you quite far :)

Since its on the Mac Appstore Logic (full version) is only 150€. Anyone who got a mac should look at Logic first. An INCREDIBLE bargain with lots of samples, instruments and effects which can only be so cheap cause Apple sells the hardware too.
@normen said:
Since its on the Mac Appstore Logic (full version) is only 150€. Anyone who got a mac should look at Logic first. An INCREDIBLE bargain with lots of samples, instruments and effects which can only be so cheap cause Apple sells the hardware too.

Since when is design called hardware ;)

I user Reason recently; and I must say i was amazed…it kind of frightening at first but, there are good tutorial on youtube.

Only thing is that the most affordable version is around 200€, so i used the free one…with which you can’t reopen a saved file :smiley:

So i didn’t get into much detail and just used the basics, but even with that I managed to have a nice score.

It definitely can worth the cost if you’re planning on making music often.