(November 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

I took the week off from work for Thanskgiving in the hopes that I could (finally) get some game development work done after like 6 months of none at all.

Plus, so far no new major injuries for anyone in my house.

Plus, I did not buy Skyrim VR yet.

Means: I actually was able to do some work.

I’m working on finally nailing down a steering primitive system that I like. So right now I have hacked some basic steering primitives into my Anarchy Sandbox project from last year.

So far I have just basic seek and arrive behaviors. Arrive is what I’m using now. All monkeys try to go to 10, 0, 10 and stop. There is an initial monkey who spawns with the world.

Placed three monkey spawners (they spawn up to 10 monkeys then disappear):

The starter monkey was bumped out of his spot so had to circle around. You can see him leaving the mosh pit.

Still more coming, starter monkey is back in the mosh pit:

Now they are just all crowded around waiting:

I currently have steering hacked into normal AI heartbeat but it doesn’t fire very often. Next step will be replacing the normal WalkDriver in the physics layer with a SteeringDriver that calls the steering system directly as part of physics. They’ll behave more sensibly then and not have to circle around so far to get anywhere.

Then I will add a basic object avoidance primitive. That’s pretty much everything you’d need to do a tower defense. I plan to also add path following and flee primitives before I call this part “done” and move on to higher level AI stuff.

16 Likes

Wasnt there some lwjgl-no-work-on-arm stuff complicating RPi matters last time I checked?

Yeah, neither lwjgl2 nor 3 support arm/rpi atm

Wait, aren’t basically all mobile phones in existence ARM based? What’s the difference?

ARM processors are primarily aimed at mobile devices because of their power consumption. they are traditionally simpler than their big brothers. reduced instructions and low clock speeds make them a bit “thin”. but these days you can get high core counts which helps them out. it’s a bit like lots of little children running about. not much gets done, there will be heat, and eventually after a bit of a diva moment and a few sit-downs the job gets done.

1 Like

The Android OS isnt exactly Linux and there are like four arm architectures (armv7 armv8 arm64 and arm), so you definitely have to recompile native libs

Erm… Guys it’s sliding a bit off topic.

3 Likes

Little teaser for those who can’t wait until I release update of my game.

Hours and hours spent with graphic model and still not finished yet. Then hours of setting up a good suspension are waiting for me.

I’m just making new content.

I’m not a professional realistic model maker. It just will be what my game needs and no more.
I think you can easily recognise the car at first sight :smiley:

4 Likes

Nothing special today, just few new items - magical staves.

15 Likes

Started to experiment with creating a new style in Lemur…
A spellbar, main menu and a character portrait

16 Likes

I’m working on a library to use in Game Jams (e.g. the next Ludum Dare!) to create 2D games with jME and zay-es.

The part I’m currently working on is a deferred lighting system.

Imgur

(The assets do have some flaws, because I use an older Game Jam project. The bumps on the floor have terrible normal maps :chimpanzee_eek:)

12 Likes

I added some SimArboreal trees to use as obstacles in the avoidance behaviors. Unfortunately, I haven’t had time to implement the avoidance behaviors yet… such is life.

But at least I have trees for the monkeys:

If the avoid and flee primitives end up working well then maybe I will post a video.

12 Likes

Well one has to keep their dungeon fully staffed :smiley:

4 Likes

Hey all,
This month I can also show case some eye candy.
I present my latest mobile game.

BOUNCE

In this game you can either play through all levels or create your own and share with the world to play.
The aim of the game is to get from point A to point B by controlling the bouncing ball. Tilt the device or use arrow keys.
The level can consist of :slight_smile:

1. Blocks
  2. Spikes
  3. Movable platforms
  4. Movable blades
  5. Falling bombs
  6. Portals
  7. Flow control points
  8. Stars to pickup

The only feature currently developed is a sandbox type level editor which you can create your own level and play it.
Multiple levels can be created, saved and opened.

I plan to make this available for PC, MAC and Android…

Different designs:

15 Likes

I played something like this a while ago and it was pretty cool, so looking forward to your one.
Got a download link yet?

Cool, that somewhat reminds me of Return Of The Incredible Machine.

That’s…pretty generic. I’m sure you can do better than that. SEO isn’t going to do you any favors otherwise.

Thanks all. Well that is the thing, I hope the search engines will pick it up, but let me first finish the game.

Anyways, this is actually a game for my son and I thought of releasing it to others.

Well I’ve had some decent progress on my procedural space game. So here’s a screenshot to add to the mix here.

Things that have been done.

• Reworked the movement. Now the ship (red box) rotates but the space moves around the player. This simplifies movement of zones greatly.
  • Each “ball” is an exclusion zone. What this is is it’s an area that only 1 object can exist such that they won’t overlap with each other (would look very Bethesda-ish if things clipped through each other)
  • Shadows… Well… There they are. I’m using the directional lighting shadow stuff mentioned in the tutorial. As you can see though they’re rather… blocky. Not sure why that is even after I’ve mucked with settings. But whatever.

So ya. Yay progress! I hope to pull in my asteroid code from my previous WIP into this soon.

7 Likes

For shadows try bigger shadow map size.

2 Likes

Try to blur the shadows with POISSON.