(October 2016) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

I have it ported to Java and JME but it still has one major bug I can’t track down. Once I get that bug worked out I’m going to release it as a stand alone class for all you monkeys. Finding code samples is so much easier on the unity forums given it’s huge audience. It’s just a matter of converting it.

1 Like

Among other things this week I added a new spell rune you can use in spell creation that places magical lights in the world. The rune can take other mutators that change the color.

18 Likes

I really love how your game look like right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve spent several years working on Spoxel in my free time and it’s always good to hear that people at least like the look of it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, it indeed looks amazing. It looks just right for your fantasy setting.
As @MoffKalast said some posts ago you really need to invite us all to a playtest sometime :smiley:

2 Likes

It has that “professional indie” look about it, very polished looking you’ve done amazingly.

1 Like

He as talent at programming and art i would say? unless it s some one helping him :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I do it all myself, although there have been more revisions than I would care to mention. Settling on an art style has helped a lot. Also, i’ve had a ton of practice since I’m making an RPG and have thousands of icons to practice on :wink: Other than that it has just been a lot of time and polish. This screenshot is from an early build of Spoxel probably 2 years ago now. I’d like to think its come a long way!

10 Likes

Have been working on controllable troops in my towers game:

I’m sure a lot of you will think “That looks easy!”, but the hard part was the networking, as the client has to tell the server where it wants the troops and the server has to move them.

Also because the server must be as efficient as possible, the hardest part was making the troops not just walk into each other without using any sort of collision library such as jbullet (In the end, the algorithm is as follows - “If there is a troop within 10 units which is closer than my objective than I am, walk at 70% of the usual speed”. The only pitfall of this is that it encourages troops to walk in a line).

Obviously I just gave the troops the tower model for now, which is simply a placeholder. Anyone know of any animated “soldier” models I can use?

7 Likes

Switching from hybrid to fully deferred rendering. This one goes out to: “My G-buffer is too fat for this computer”. It seems to me, that I don’t even have to attempt environment maps, until I have some new hardware. Anyway, support for multiple lights has been added too.

13 Likes

Hm, is your gbuffer really that fat?

2 Likes

Well, I have two RGBA16F, one RGBA8 and one depth texture(s). Also, everything is shiny which requires additional texture fetches during the deferred lighting pass. (I think the number one performance killer are texture fetches.)
The performance increases to about 20 FPS without the mipmap bloom filter and to 27 FPS without HDR. That is still not much. :frowning: I think it must be the G-buffer.

This is on a 2009 MacBook Pro with a GeForce 9400 M and 256 MB memory.

1 Like

Ah the 256mb card explains a lot!

If you don’t use it already then you should batch the lights… emitting one drawcall for a pointlight is way to expensive.
As far i remember that used to be best performancegenerator in my tests

That is on my to do list. How many lights do you have? I was thinking about putting a small pointlight on each of the runway lights. This makes … :thinking: … about 500 lights per runway. Of course, I’m not developing this application for an old Macbook but for something better.

:cry:

Cant remember exactly. Following what i have said in the thread i was close to 10k pointlights. Also the liming factor was the size of the lights.

I used a mesh holding a lot of spheres and some hacks to dynamically draw the amount required. There is one limiting factor that depends from gpu to gpu. I never managed to resolve this issue completely (in a mathematical way)

1 Like

Another livery for the gas stations. The logo has a few hidden meanings, hint: Exxon Mobil.

Refueling section dumping fuel:

Experimenting with projective texture mapping for collision and weapon damage with @survivor’s library.

I’m still having some trouble determining which way to orient the projector in some cases since a PhysicsCollisionEvent doesn’t exactly tell you much about the direction of the hit.

University lectures are already starting to slow down the development pace :confused:

16 Likes

My first ever animation:

Never did animation before, so this was quite a challenge to me.

Model doesn’t turn in the direction of movement, but that shouldn’t be too hard to add.

Edit: Movement direction added! Also the soldiers turn to the “idle” animation when they stop moving, and start the “walk” animation when they start moving.

10 Likes

Threaded physics using Dyn4j, the star field is a 3d particle system randomly generated based on the view frustum and is then repeated as the camera moves, when a star leaves the view it is wrapped to the other side, left, right, top or bottom.

15 Likes

Have heard that they still have a lot of oil under the sand and stones of the bay where that ship sunk.

So, what does your Valdez do? Does it pollute the subspace like the fast travelling ships in Star Trek? :slight_smile:

They should have this playing on their billboards (ok, not the same company). Sorry for destroying your home galaxy. Where should we drill next?