Oracle gave it the big FU, now what?

Some good ideas right there. Hmmm, could it be the time to undust my youtube channel…?

2 Likes

if we will give up on JMonkey sdk i think that our best solution will be an app that initialize the project (create folders gradle files and necessary classes) and an external jme files editor like @javasabr 's JMB , seriously i don’t think that plugins are something we could manage easily cause we will need to make at lest 3 of them (for intellij netbeens and eclipse)

3 Likes

still need some work but it’s nice for now. @NemesisMate thanks by the way i didn’t know that someone already though of it at least in JMonkey community .

Why not IntelliJ IDEA Community?

@e_v_genius cause every developer like a different IDE look at this pool:
Which IDE do you use for developing game with JMonkey?

RTFM???

Do you always get this mad when someone criticizes a software you use?

Sorry,
Old school (aka real school) here what is triggered???

Does that mean drawing goofy…Meme’s I believe they are termed???
Geez must have time on your hands to make a drawing then REPLY instantly…

So I don’t know what “triggered” is in mod jargon but geez you were the one attacking or didn’t you see it that with your 2000 quote…mirrors my friend are VERY useful.

1 Like

Prior to coming to JMonkey I had always used and sworn by eclipse, but I decided to start with the bundled SDK so I would have all the additional SDK features, and within a week I forgot I was even using a different IDE :rofl: they all feel the same to me now, but it only made sense to use the SDK as a new user so I could explore all of its cool features

Nowadays I find myself using both JMB and the SDK equally . If I’m working on a lot of files at once in the SDK, then I’ll do the scene editing in JMB so I can stay organized. I like to do certain scene editing tasks in JMB and other in the SDK, and I couldn’t imagine using only one or the other. Plus having a second editor available is an invaluable tool for troubleshooting when you encounter an error in either the SDK or JMB.

3 Likes

I’ve been scrupulously avoiding this topic up to now, but I’d like to second what @nehon said:

If I understand correctly, the “JMonkey SDK” is no longer supported by the core team and is now largely or entirely supported by @Darkchaos. As we all know, JMB is @javasabr’s personal project. My point in bringing this up is that both of these are excellent tools supported by different people who have been generous enough to contribute their hard work back to the community for others to use. As such, the whole “what’s the best IDE-editor-build tool-flyswatter-fill-in-the-blank” debate is moot - if their respective authors want to take a certain approach, that’s up to them to do. They’re doing the work, so they get to choose which direction their projects will take. If one of us sees a piece missing we can contribute patches or build new tools to address the need. If @javasabr wants to build tight integration between JMB and IntelliJ, fine, if @Darkchaos wants to continue to develop the SDK on top of Netbeans, that’s fine too. There’s no point to or need for a big discussion over what’s the “best” tool platform - it really is all a matter of taste, and I think the jME community is fortunate that there are multiple options that take very different directions.

We’re fortunate enough to have options - use what works well for you and don’t worry about the others.

Very true.

12 Likes

The code is here if you want to make some improvements I’ll gladly take PRs GitHub - Nehon/bootmonkey: Project scaffolding for JME3

I have absolutely no hostility towards his project. It’s the opposite even.
Idk if this and the little text below was addressed to me, but since I’m quoted I have to answer.

I invested A LOT of time in the SDK back in the days it was supported by the core team, and to be honest I was very shocked when the team decided to drop its support. Though the reason were sound: We don’t have much time to maintain it in the current state of the team, it hinders the engines release cycle because every change has to be reflected in the SDK, the build was troublesome at this time too, and since people always complain about “why netbeans and not ‘whateverthefuckmyfavoriteIDE’?”, it’d be best to just separate the editor from any IDE and let people use their IDE.
But before we did drop the SDK… we asked the community if someone would step in to support it, in case it could be saved.
No one did.
It’s after 1 or 2 month that Darkchaos arrived and decided to take over the maintenance. So there has been a very bad timing, but life’s a bitch.
Then Javasabr decided to do his own IDE and released it to the community.
To me, both Darkchaos and Javasbr have a lot of merit and we should support them.

I’m not an old geezer in his attic thinking “noobs should learn the hard way as I did”. I’d be thrilled to have an official editor for JME, full of fantastic features, but official mean maintained by the core team, and I don’t have time for this. I tried though, I have an editor based on SPIX that was mentioned above, and I work on it from time to time. But to be honest, I think I will never release it, because it would mean maintaining it and answer to troubleshooting, and I don’t have time… I’d rather focus on the engine.
So… we want an IDE with wonderful features? We have 2 of them. Each of them using a different approach, why are we complaining?
I guess people don’t like to be given a choice…

9 Likes

no no, I just recommend to use IntelliJ IDEA as java IDE, but you can use jMB with any IDE/Text Editor :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like unity 3d editor as 3d editor, I want to have the same tool for my favorite engine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My mistake - I misremembered something you or someone else said earlier in the topic.

Well, for larger teams you’re probably right. But from my own experience, when you’re working on a small scale project (e.g. 1-3 people), I’ve found small in-engine tools quite efficient. Let’s say you’re working on a shooter game where a level consists of a terrain and some objects on it, it’s pretty simple to code some kind of “dev tools interface” and a free-flight mode (something like “no clip” mode in Quake), where a level designer can seemlesly switch between gameplay and editing and modifiy the terrain and objects directly. No import pipelines, direct gameplay experience feedback, 100% WYSIWYG. And for assets JME already supports a lot through blend-files and the various image formats.

But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t support anybody working on more general tools like scene editors! In fact I like coding tools myself too :smiley:

Yeah If I remember correctly even John Carmack was quite impressed by his coding skills back in the shareware days. The awesome tools for Commander Keen, Doom, etc. that he wrote really helped to accel the games development. Here is an interesting read about Romero and his tools.

4 Likes

I really like the SDK! So much good shit in there. Thank you for all your hard work on it <3

11 Likes

No.

Its not addressed to anyone in particular,

just making a point about how people may be overestimating NetBenans longevity with what’s happening, underestimating the impact this may have on its integration development with JME and why people may refuse to move onto doing things a little different for longer than they should.

I like the SDKs NetBeans integration. It was a major factor in my decision of choosing JME as my engine of choice. NetBeans is the only editor I have ever used for java. I hope it never goes away. It may become more user friendly for integration with JME now Apache has it, if it doesn’t, that will be its demise. If you cant draw in more contributors to the SDK, over time it will fade away.

1 Like

ok ok

Well actually the SDK has never been as ailve as it is today at least, since the days when Normen was maintaining it

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing - that’s a GREAT read! Putting that one in my permanent bookmarks.

1 Like