(September 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

Hello dear community,

I started to design the final island for our Horror-Game. It does make really fun to populate the island but it is also quite a challenge when you are not really familar with level design.

Anyway, I hope you like the scenery so far.

Best regards
Domenic :slight_smile:

26 Likes

15 Likes

Hello,
I’m posting my progress. Updated model of Car5 and added new car. For now new Car7 is without suspension because I don’t have nice wheels for it. The car has to wait until I make some.

Have a nice day :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve done something stupid for a change.

Tried to experiment with buoyancy a bit, making this huge slab of cubes and checked if each is underwater (the blue colored ones are detected as such). If it is then it displaces its volume and applies an upwards force at that location.

Strangely, even with 50% damping it’s volatile as all hell.

Edit: Seems like it just got a whole lot more stable when I made a keel of some sort by making the entire bottom row 3x as heavy.

11 Likes

I was just about to suggest that you added a keel like in real sailing vessels but I see you just did that. Another thought you may want to try is a catamaran design. They’re very stable until you roll them a bit too much.

1 Like

Hold my beer.

4 Likes

Aye sir, well played.

These are kinda crap at being buoyant though, so I had to cut down on the overall cube mass and the end result is super bouncy.

My end goal is to make a sort of sinkable cruise liner Titanic thing however so catamarans aren’t really what I’m looking at.

I think there’s something else I’m missing, like water drag in general. No idea how to calculate that though.

5 Likes

Too bad speak like a pirate day has already passed. :stuck_out_tongue: Well done.

Probably would require some fluid dynamics to work out sails on those ships. /me quietly see’s if I send him down a rat hole of research. :wink:

Maybe you could add something like an air drag to the boxes over the water line which acts against the force of the boxes under the water line. A force which is proportional to the velocity squared multiplied by a negative factor. This helped me to stabilize my character once.

3 Likes

Yep indeed, I’ve just looked at the drag equation a few minutes ago and it’s pretty much that, but I think it needs applying in the water section instead of air, since water is a magnitude more dense (hah, stupid water).

I’d have to restrict the calculations only to the outer layer and apply the correct surface area to each vector component. Sounds easy for linear velocity, but I’m not sure how it translates to angular. I’ll probably just take the same values.

First things first though, I gotta make it sinkable.

4 Likes

Got sidetracked in the world of hexagons while I was looking at an exercise from university.
Maybe I will create a game world out of it…

I start with a regular icosahedron and subdivide the triangles into four smaller triangles recursively (the red mesh). In the last step, I create the dual graph which consists of 12 pentagons and many hexagons. Out of this graph, I create the green mesh and add a texture to it.

If somebody has a better way to create this hexagon based sphere directly (maybe without the dual graph), please tell me. I thought a lot about it but couldn’t find a better solution.

7 Likes

If your cubes are all or nothing buoyancy then I think that explains the volatility.

If you can’t get four cubes in a square to stabilize then there is something wrong with the math or the algorithm.

They are at the moment, I figured that’s the easiest way to start and it does explain the bobbing up and down. What t doesn’t explain is why without high damping the bloody thing will (if bumped into slightly) start to spin itself up to infinity.

The point of this simulation is if I can get this to work with “cells” or something of the sort and with this approach there will always be a resolution to pick. I may figure out some intermediate checks and fuzzing if it continues to be weird after adding drag later.

I mean, it kind of does… you bump it slightly, suddenly a whole bunch of blocks are instantly buoyant and whole bunch more instantly aren’t… that spin will only get worse and worse.

You can voxelize buoyancy but I think you may want to treat them as point-spheres as far as buoyancy value goes… pick a value based on how deep the center is. You’ll know you have it right if 4 voxels in a 2x2 arrangement is pretty stable even when bumped slightly. That configuration should naturally right itself and the math + algorithm should not need to be complicated to make that happen.

1 Like

That’s…an excellent point. Wow it should be a substantial improvement and super easy to add.

Thanks for the tip :smile:

Edit:

Hey it stabilized!
https://i.imgur.com/1ihJTqf.png
Thanks again @pspeed

This flooding idea actually kind of works. (still on binary buoyancy)

https://i.imgur.com/Yg9igBJ.gif

Tips like a fedora, sinks like a bee.

10/10 best evening project I’ve attempted in the past three years.

14 Likes

For our game we want grass, plants and trees to have a nice wind effect. So I started to learn about shaders a little.
Thanks to @8Keep123, he gave me a super hint on how to achieve that effect. Thank you again very much!
Here is the result.

21 Likes

Among the long list of changes to Spoxel lately… I finally got around to implementing a dye tub system. Pretty much anything in the game can be dyed with at least one if not two colors.

17 Likes

@glh3586 i’m dyeing to try it out. :wink:

2 Likes

I badly want to see some video of your game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice that you are so interested in the game, that means a lot to me :slight_smile:

I want the game to be finished in the next month(s). This will be my first “real” game, so please
don’t expect too much. However, I already learned a lot during the project and that’s very important to me as well :wink:

As soon as the game is in a state where I really can show some content, the whole community, will be the first one seeing that :kissing_heart:

3 Likes