Skullstone on Steam Greenlight

Should probably also mention that you need glsl 100 fallback shaders for macs which just wont run anything higher unless you jump through too many hoops than the average user will want to.

I had to make a few rewrites so my game even started on osx…

Cool good luck!

Linux effectively cheats with refresh rates to “hack” multi monitor support. My current laptop reports 50 and 51Hz which are both a lie. It does this via “mode lines”, a very outdated way of dealing with monitors. Hell its typically not even a real mode line anymore (ie you put it into your xorg.conf), now things like nivida drivers set them up at xorg load time.

You can fix this with the addition of some modes that have correct refresh rates. For nvidia drivers the nividia-settings can even force it or do it for you. lwjgl3 handles it a bit better BUT you have to do a bit more work your side to ensure you have something workable (TBH i have not got it working properly in jME).

As for pure OS drivers. No self respecting linux user expects games to work on them at all. If we play games we install the vendor drivers that “taint” the kernel in ways only Richard i’m a extremophile Stallman would care about.

And this one looks like a lot of work for me.

Does MAC supports MRT?

Did you try to set core profile in mac? I think that if you set nothing, by default jme uses compat.

For glsl 150 you can set it with

settings.setRenderer(AppSettings.LWJGL_OPENGL3);

Mac OS goes up to OpenGL 4.1.

It should work when you create a context with core profile.

See these pages:
https://developer.apple.com/opengl/

Yeah that command gave me problems since it forces ver. 150 and some shaders I use are only for glsl 100 - therfore crashing the game since the required technique wasn’t there. It would take even more rewrites on my side to get this to work so I rather just left it at 100.

¯ \ _ (ツ) _ / ¯

this sounds wrong. I mean 150 is already pretty old, and 100 is almost a footnote in history already. Surly this works across the board these days.

Well it depends on what OS. lightspeed was running on some damn near ancient mac systems so we had to include some damn near ancient glsl versions :stuck_out_tongue:

To be fair, that was more like walking than running, or slowly dragging over the ground even.

According to valve who probably ran it with 512mb of ram and a 300mhz
processor

1 Like

Voted! Oh, oops, was I supposed to give an upvote?!

Jk, jk… definitely giving Skullstone an upvote. :wink:

1 Like

You’ve got competition it seems:

True fans will buy both. Just to let you know. It is quite rare to have 2 of this genre being released all of a sudden.

DW I will slander their game mercilessly!

Joking of course that could backfire on you. I could kill them?

Anyway GL

Well it’s not really at the same time. The Keep releases on March the 16th, while Skullstone will probably still need quite some time before it launches.
So it might not be a problem.

Let’s not rule out the kill option quite yet

2 Likes

There are few more crawlers on Steam. There is nothing wrong with that. Skullstone will be released and the end of the year.

I don’t think it really is a problem at all. The genre is mostly enjoyed by oldfags like me, I doubt many young people with no money have to ponder which one to buy. That means, both projects pry coin from eager hand :slight_smile: And with the few months between them, the other one is either played through already or never installed at all, but the hunger for buying is not sated :slight_smile:

18 days after…

18 Likes

Congratulations, you did it :+1:

1 Like