Which IDE do you use for developing game with JMonkey?

I think it’s recurring in the sense that people that want to help, see the SDK and want to improve it. The pattern of thought is almost scrapable.

“55 voters, 63 total votes” - hm? :smiley:
Does this mean that some user accounts tried to vote more than once, but these got ignored? :crazy_face:

EGAD! There might be fraudulent voters here too!

We should make sure that some of the ballots aren’t for dead people. :wink:

4 Likes

it’s a multiple choice pool some people use more than one IDE

2 Likes

Ah yeah, stupid me. Didn’t see the boxes anymore, since I already voted. :smiley:
But the idea was kinda funny… :wink:

1 Like

@Ogli you can change your vote any time you want

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/RrLw9j4.png

3 Likes

Hi guys,

I am used to develop in Visual Studio Code for javascript during work. So I checked if I can use it as well for developing jme3 projects. The result - I like it more as eclipse.
If you are not familiar with VSCode but want to try it - checkout my github project
Git jme3vscode
and test it. Readme file in project explains what to do.
If you have any questions - let me know.

2 Likes

I used it for work too, coding javascript, and it’s nice indeed. I heard it shines with Type Script, but never had the opportunity to test it.
Never used it for java though. But yes it’s a nice free IDE.

1 Like

It does - I’ve used it at work for TypeScript, and it integrates very well with JSX/TSX (XML-like markup that integrates with JavaScript/Typescript).

1 Like

you have IntelliJ IDEA UE which has very good support of TypeScript :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah I guess.
I use intellij for everything now. But it’s not free. And I understand that some people don’t want to spend money for an IDE.
But my point was, that I’ve been told that Visual Studio code is very good at it.

1 Like

I see… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, that’s dangerous to affirm. The community edition IS free. What is not free is using it for all languages xD. Talking about javascript, and VSCode, have you tried atom with it?, or brackets (I’ve heard very good things about it)

1 Like

yeah, you’re right.

Yes both, and I gave up on them.
Not bad, but not good enough for various reason that i don’t really remember now.

1 Like

I’m not sure about VSCode, but Atom doesn’t really qualify as an IDE in my mind. It’s more of a fancy text editor with syntax highlighting. It has no build or debugging tools, no console, no project editor or setup, cannot detect syntax or any other kind of errors a real IDE would point out before you could finish writing. At least it does work with git so it has that going for it which is nice.

That does make it useful for stuff like Shadron, which handles compiling, running and error reporting by itself and only needs a text editor to work, which is the only thing I use it for now.

1 Like

Well… While Visual Studio is the IDE, VSCode is the non-IDE. I’ve never used VSCode, but all I have seen (some work mates uses it) and read points to that VSCode can be classified in the same category than atom/brackets/sublime/… (code editors).

1 Like

Don’t leave out the most obvious. It 's a text editor but doesn’t have printing. Go figure.

2 Likes

Isn’t it so that you could extend Atom with thousands of Addons to do just that?
But on the other hand I’ve heard that that makes Atom very slow and ram hungry, up to the point where you’d be better of with a real IDE although it being not so fancy.

1 Like

I’ve never managed to find the proper addons that didn’t in some way conflict with each other. And it does get slow to start already after a few so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s probably better or worse depending on what kind of language you use it for.

1 Like