Windows 10 Home edition sucks!

I upgraded from XP 32 bit home edition about 6 months ago. 7 is alright but it feels like I’ve lost features and gained nothing (except compatibility but I don’t count that).

There is a Windows 8 pc in my house but I do not speak of it.

1 Like

I can tell, windows 8.0 to 10 are extremely bad, they monitor anything you do even when you turn off the system, you have no choice to accept to share data to Microsoft, this should be illegal to force these thing.

I m about to turn Linux and to say goodbye to easy OS they force too much stuff on you, Exemple the Skydrive(one drive) which upload my stuff online and i m quite against it. We know what happen to Apple got hacked and every celebrity ICloud got public.

I may look stupid but I m against Cloud technology(which was call network drive in the past…) in general, For OpenSource it s awesome, but anything else is just giving the stuff to unknown people. An other bad point is it saturate the whole network with useless file transfer.

Btw this is my opinion.

I for one would like to know how MS can monitor everything I do without any electricity.

It may not be really straightforward to opt out of it but it’s not rocket science. See here. They’ve made it hard to do, sure but you have quite a choice. This includes disabling onedrive.

Are you sure you can’t run LoL wisely with wine? Did you try setting a virtual drive on PlayOnLinux? I ran it on 40-50 fps (like i used to on WIndows 7) on a pretty old hardware.

I was just pointing everything that came in thought, i ve already removed most of the annoying thing. But the worst is all the hidden privacy stuff and the keylogger.

You may not notice but Cortana can never be completely turn off. When the computer is Idle she does something weird.

The Computer paging system sucks, with out ssd Laptop suffer huge lag on start up.
Never had any issue on Win 7 but since i got win 8 and 10 my laptop HDD was always at 100% disk usage making it unusable for 15m to 1h. Had to search all over the web to deactivate the system paging system.

I would look, but Cortana isn’t available in my region :sunglasses:

This was the first time something not available in my country was actually a benefit lol

That’s odd, for me it’s reversed. My W7 pc is unusable for the first 5 minutes after startup and W10 is ready to go a second or two after the desktop shows. Neither have ssds, but the W7 install is about 2 years older so it has the time slowdown factor going for it.

I don’t know… to me this argument is like someone complaining that they put a 5400 RPM IDE drive in and now compiles are slow.

Build a dev machine and pay for it or don’t and deal with the limitations when you try to dev on it. I see Windows pro as no different. Plus, everywhere around here to buy a PC will generally preinstall either one… at least for anything anyone would actually want to do development on.

As to the other reply with “my little netbook won’t run Pro”… I think you will have even more problems trying to run MSVC then.

1 Like

Well as far as I have heard from friends, Cortana works just fine if you have English Windows.
Which is something I always go for, because I usually facepalm so hard at the translations and it’s also easier to follow any tutorials online.

1 Like

Games. Its that simple. Everything else is just as good on a nix distro if you are willing to take the time to learn.

The windows itself is in English but the keyboard, time and region is set so Slovenia which probably prevents it from running. I too cannot stand the sight of non-english software.

1 Like

Ahrm, and also pretty much everything else that depends on the GPU. In my experience Linux GPU drivers are total garbage. I mean sure, until you have something more demanding it’s ok, but for instance for OpenGL apps on my PC diffrence between Linux and Win is just too big.

Linux is very obscure so I doubt it will get major attention from the graphics card manufacturers. Steam tried to bring Linux to the fore front with the Steam Machine but it was a big flop. The best we can do is spread the love of Linux word of mouth.

I’m not totally bashing windows either. It has the potential to be great it just doesn’t use it. My biggest issue has been the dumbing down of the OS. Simple features like turning off auto updates are being stripped away. For normal users that isn’t a problem but for developers certain updates can break their projects.

Windows has take 1 step forward two steps backward in their current approach to design.

I fail to see hiw dumbing things down is a bad strategy in a world of apple consumers and yoga pant wearing instagram whores. People are stupid by choice these days. Its embarrasing to admit.

3 Likes

I’m not going to contribute to on going dumbing down of society. I’d rather bring standards up not down. If we keep going at this rate we’ll be back to beating rocks together to make fire. Man , have we gotten off topic :grin:

2 Likes

It is not really off topic, IMHO. If Win sucks, then let’s feel free to discuss why and evaluate alternatives.

But I do not think that MS reads this forum so maybe you should complain to them directly?

PS: I complained in the past and their reply ultimately made me switch to Apple. So don’t expect too much but you should give it a try.

I think Nvidia has good drivers for Linux

2 Likes
1 Like

There are a couple of games working perfectly on ubuntu linux. And I develop my jme stuff all under ubuntu…

1 Like

I can tell, windows 8.0 to 10 are extremely bad, they monitor anything you do even when you turn off the system

So switch out reporting and spying things and no sign in to MS online account - and use your PC as usual.

(speaking as 8.1 user)

I had no problem with W95, W2000, XP, XP64, Vista, W7 or W10. Stayed totally away from W98, WME, W8/8.1 since they are failed versions or versions with speed stripes without anyting that make them better.

The secret is:

• get enough hardware (32GB RAM, SSD, Quad core i7 today)
  • don’t click on all links that says Download & install
  • never use home editions, prefer Pro or Ultimate
  • I’ve used legal copies
  • never install a new version until the first service pack has arrived

Prefer Linux as server. Might try it as desktop soon.

Happy New Year, need to open champagne now :grinning: