Windows 10 Home edition sucks!

But thtas the point, it comes from a non offical source :slight_smile:
second: With AMD noo way, mesa drivers are way better by now.

and yes there was, required 3 lines directly copy paste from offical site to fix, so less than the java8 ppa on my server required :slight_smile

My experience with AMD on linux was very terrible, nvidia works perfect. :slight_smile:

I develop on it with jme, no problems so far

1 Like

only for a fresh generation… nvidia has more long support.

I used to use Fedora since I liked the bleeding edge packages and the overall feel of the system. A couple years back, though, I started to not like the direction that it was headed and I made the switch to Linux Mint. Overall, it’s safe to say that it’s been the best experience I’ve had with Linux. Great driver support, good repos (although the Ubuntu base definitely means having to work around some hopelessly outdated packages, like getting Java 8.), and the cinnamon desktop hits a sweet spot for me between elegance, customizability, and simplicity. Even though packages are sometimes outdated, the Ubuntu base means pretty much everything ever written to run on Linux runs on it without much of a hassle (no converting deb-only packages to rpm with alien - but yes, outdated packages are a pain sometimes. A ppa needed for Java 8 years after it was released? Really?). Yeah, I know you already know all that since you’re a Mint user. I just posted all that for all the folks who’ve never used Mint. :grinning:

Did I mention yet that it’s an overall great distro? :wink:

1 Like

I always download software right from the source to make sure I get the latest version. I’ve never been a fan of package manager.

I like the package manager because I like having zero-effort updates. On the other hand, I’ve found that getting packages straight from the source onto my Mint system is usually very painless.

2 Likes

It seems like many people use some sort of Linux here. That makes me curious: what is the main OS you use to develop your games?

Edit: maybe this poll should be split to a new thread, but I don’t know how to do it. :confused:

• Windows
  • MacOS
  • Linux

0 voters

This question is difficult because I have all three os and when I develop on the Couch it is the macbook.

I once read that linux was designed for developers/development and yeah apart from java it improves your building experience and git was also first available there.

Or another thing: i wanted to count how many lines with Todo i have. cat xyz.java | grep todo | wc -l.

Or just think of saving batch files with notepad.
But btw I just recently made the switch, I didnt have linux two months ago

1 Like

I was using Mac OS X for a loooong time but had to switch to Windows 10 Pro lately. Actually, I don’t feel that it makes a difference after all. Some things are better and some are worse, but after a few days of getting-used-to I’m quite happy about my choice. That has to do with the hardware though, which is much better on the Windows side.

Win 7/Ubuntu combo here.

Win 10 is the precursor to yearly subscription based WindowsXX isn’t it?

As I understood it Win 10 installs the framework for this, ie no control of updates being a major part of it so they can shut you down if you don’t pay.

Maybe rumors are wrong.

I actually develop my JME stuff on Windows XP. My main system is Windows 7 and I can develop there too. The work laptop is also Win7. Every other computer (of which there are many) in my house is running linux… of the ones I built, all but one is running some version of Linux Mint. (For example, the FireTV and Raspberry Pi are obviously running their own version of Linux.) (And I guess to be completely technical, the PS3 and PS4 probably aren’t running Linux… certainly not by this conversations standards… though they are technically ‘computers in my house’. :slight_smile: )

Oh… and the MAME cabinet I built ages ago is still running Windows XP, also.

“develop on the couch”
“with macbook”

:joy:
Stop, stop…

1 Like

Linux is winning… quick, close the poll now!

Pointless “OS evangelism” aside, those numbers are pretty good so far - not at all what I expected.

Then again maybe it’s slanted, we are in a Windows sucks thread…

-`
                 .o+`                 empire@empire-uli
                `ooo/                 OS: Arch Linux 
               `+oooo:                Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.8.13-1-ARCH
              `+oooooo:               Uptime: 4h 44m
              -+oooooo+:              Packages: 1507
            `/:-:++oooo+:             Shell: zsh 5.3.1
           `/++++/+++++++:            Resolution: 1920x975
          `/++++++++++++++:           DE: XFCE4
         `/+++ooooooooooooo/`         WM: Xfwm4
        ./ooosssso++osssssso+`        WM Theme: Default
       .oossssso-````/ossssss+`       GTK Theme: Clearlooks [GTK2]
      -osssssso.      :ssssssso.      Icon Theme: gnome
     :osssssss/        osssso+++.     Font: Sans 10
    /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-     CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.592GHz
  `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-   GPU: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 256 bits)
 `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:  RAM: 2770MiB / 5215MiB
`++:.                           `-/+/
.`                                 `/

Ps. note the version numbers between ubuntu and arch :slight_smile: