Physically Based Rendering – Part one

I’ve posted a blog post about PBR here.
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/2014/11/physically-based-rendering-part-one/
Feel free to post question.remarks in here.

4 Likes

Yeah, you hear a lot about pbr in the last days. Mainly because from my point of view the press mixes the term often up with global illumination…

Its a nice feature for aritsts, with the goal to make the work of artists in 3d applications a bit more predicatable, while keeping the materials as realistical as possible. From a technical point of view, it will not improove your performance. If you have a reflection map good, if you dont, then setting “metaliness” to 1 does not automatically generate one. Same with GI.

But nice feature in any case :slight_smile:

@zzuegg said: Yeah, you hear a lot about pbr in the last days. Mainly because from my point of view the press mixes the term often up with global illumination...

Its a nice feature for aritsts, with the goal to make the work of artists in 3d applications a bit more predicatable, while keeping the materials as realistical as possible. From a technical point of view, it will not improove your performance. If you have a reflection map good, if you dont, then setting “metaliness” to 1 does not automatically generate one. Same with GI.

But nice feature in any case :slight_smile:

Well it’s another way of thinking about GI actually. I won’t get too much into the details or I’m gonna spoil my next week post :p.
Just know that the PBR everyone is talking about is a multi headed beast and indirect lighting is just one of the heads.

Just push to master :slight_smile:

Puh one week to wait… you should have written the tech before the art one

Great serie!
May be, next time we’ll see the white PBR rabbit of nehon :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome. I didn’t know that was a thing.
I love to play with procedural stuff, and oh man, how great, neat and convenient it would be to ahve that feature in JME3 (or 4).

Part 2, part 2, part 2 !!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Really interesting.

Does it means that we will have PBR for the next JME update? In addition to the light culling…Great visual improvment! Maybe deferred rendering too ^^.

@haze said: Part 2, part 2, part 2 !!! :p

Really interesting.

Does it means that we will have PBR for the next JME update? In addition to the light culling…Great visual improvment! Maybe deferred rendering too ^^.

Yep I’m working on it.

1 Like
@nehon said: Yep I'm working on it.

:slight_smile:

I get “Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.” on that link,

Hi @barney

You can use these links :