What games are you currently playing?

I had read that the developers and publisher, Sega, aren’t ruling out the possibility of an Alien: Isolation sequel despite the ho hum sales figures. While it may not have been a major money maker it did receive some awards and notoriety and that in itself has value to developers and publishers.

If you’ve ever noticed in a movie trailer they might say something like “from the academy award winning director” or “starring Oscar winner…” The fact that a movie or game was developed by someone that won an award makes potential buyers feel more confident in their purchases.

Movie studios have what are called “tent poles” these are the big money makers that prop up the business. They usually don’t take any risks, they stick to the tried and true. With the money they make with tent pole films they occasionally produce something that isn’t likely to make a whole lot of money, but could be a contender for major awards.

A business model more game studios should adopt in my opinion.

2 Likes

Some of them have got the tent pole bit down to a T - 11 call of duty games in as many years.

I hope they do make another.

1 Like

Yeah, they certainly know how to push out the tent poles. The used electronics store round here has an entire rack dedicated to NBA 2k whatever and madden games.

And more Assassins Creed than you shake a stick at haha

1 Like

Kerbal Space Programm :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Guild Wars 2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, I just finished UNDERTALE, the 3 different endings. It’s amazing how a game can change someone’s perception of society.

1 Like

Has anyone check out Little Nightmares ? The art style is fantastic. Normally I could care less about graphics but this game looks like it was made by Tim Burton.

1 Like

People say that the linux has no games :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Star Wars Battlefront is a good one.

2 Likes

Hey how was SOMA? I’ve been thinking of trying it out since it’s very intriguing but it’s not really my genre (i jump at every shadow). So, do I have a chance of finishing it without a heart attack?

1 Like

Right now its either team fortress 2, Path of exile, or even some dawn of war 1 and 2.

I should be coding though, I really should, but hey, you gotta relax by shooting people and xenos in the face from time to time, they deserve it after all.

2 Likes

Dota2… small rant incoming.

New update, adds “talents”, so extra passive skills and you chose at different levels.
They made it… CLIENT SIDE. So obviously there is some Russian script going around letting you take all of them when you shouldn’t be able to, making it completely unfair.

How do these people get jobs at Valve? How are they seriously hiring people who don’t understand how important server side is in a competitive game like Dota? It’s like several months back there was a CSGO update in which, given 2 separate players A and B, if A crouched while B was zoomed in with a specific weapon, player B got a giant speed boost and could zoom around the map while zoomed in with a sniper. They made a change to ranked gains/losses one time where you would gain more MMR (elo) for a win if the game lasted longer. Result: team who got ahead locked you in your fountain (spawn) and didn’t destroy any buildings to drag it out - there is no surrender option in Dota. It was eventually removed.

I may be a self taught hobbyist in this field but how are the people who make these decisions getting employed? These are just a select few issues but I could write an entire book on the subject.

2 Likes

Come join the dark side and play League of Legends … we have cookies :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

For the kids, I built a tiny RetroPie box and loaded it up with some ROMs. It’s based on the article on Ars Technica and was pretty much plug-and-play. I’ve already gotten my $100 worth out of this little thing and it easily replaces 3 other mini retro-consoles I already had… plus it will do MAME games.

I’ve been having fun relearning how to play Shinobi and Shadow Warrior… meanwhile my 11 year old daughter (a modern Mario Kart fiend) has been having a lot of fun with the original on SNES… when she’s not jamming Pokemon Crystal on the Gameboy Color.

Hooked up one of my extra PS4 gamepads to it… so sweet to play some of these old cartridges on a real controller. Still can’t get used to Star Control yet. Though I have dominated the Aliance at least once since I started relearning. :slight_smile:

I’m going to see if I can get Pico8 running on it at some point… let the kids write some of their own games.

3 Likes

haha, I finished this game without a heart attack because I like horrors, but it was very difficult and very interesting for me :slight_smile: Also, I played “Alien:Isolation”… It is more frightening than SOMA, I have not finished yet this game :slight_smile: It is too frightening for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been (re)playing Shadows of the Colossus. It’s probably my most favorite game of all time

2 Likes

Battlezone 98 Redux, Left 4 Dead 2, Doom, and a little Project Zomboid

1 Like

I’ve been playing GTA V and World of Warcraft (wotlk and cata private server I run so I don’t have to pay :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Project Zero 2 (director’s cut) on the first xbox.

2 Likes

Wasteland 2, Subnautica

1 Like